Quickbooks Deposit slip

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Quickbooks Deposit slip

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Box1 on the quickbooks deposit slip is for the cash portion of the deposit. What field needs to be placed in order to get that data (cash deposited) onto the sheet?
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

nathansparks

Re: Quickbooks Deposit slip

Post by nathansparks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Jordan will have to answer, I saw you also have an open issue with our staff on this, I would put my 50 cents that it is a feature request. The key question for me is whether the quickbooks deposit slip will be accepted by the bank if that subtotal for cash is absent in a deposit including cash.
Last edited by nathansparks on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:57 pm

It is a feature request.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:09 pm

I have a question also about the quickbook deposit slips. I apoligize if I am hijacking this thread!

Can somebody give me a dummies guide to using the quickbook deposit slips?

1) When you order the quickbook deposit slips do you get them imprinted with your business name and account number or does OD print it on the slip?

2) When I look online and see quickbooks deposit slips for sale are they all the same or is there different versions of the slips? Anything special I need to know?

Thanks!!!
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:35 am

You get them imprinted with your name and account number. It's magnetic ink.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:41 am

Robert -

And it goes without saying - order them through someone other than Intuit and you'll save a lot of money.

We really like the deposit slip feature her - very clean and easy to trace when necessary.

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

genebrabston

Post by genebrabston » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:16 am

In regards to the cash entry field on the quickbooks deposit slip, has that been corrected? We are ready to order and utilize the preprinted forms but not if the cash amount has to be written in. That defeats the purpose of allowing the system enter all of the information. Comments please.

Thanks,

Gene

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Our deposit slips support checks only. Just do cash manually on a different deposit slip.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

rshoe1445

Post by rshoe1445 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:53 am

When will we be able to print more than one page of the deposit slip? I was on the phone with tech support shortly after the slips were changed to sheets to be compatible with Quickbooks and was told this would be filed as a bug yet we still haven't seen a fix. Is this not a problem for anyone else? I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the forum. Our deposit list is frequently longer than one page and anything after that is simply cut off. I can see all the transactions in the program but I like to keep a .pdf copy of our deposits as well and it doesn't do me much good when they are incomplete.

Ron

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:34 am

Just create 2 smaller deposit slips instead of one large one. It should be giving you a warning if you go over the number that will fit on one page.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

asanders

Post by asanders » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:59 pm

We usually create multiple deposit slips each day. Always a separate one for cash and checks. We'll often have more than one for checks. My staff, and I, really wish OD would simply total the cash deposits and enter it on the deposit slips instead of listing each one individually. It would save a little bookkeeping.

klinlv

Post by klinlv » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 am

asanders wrote:We usually create multiple deposit slips each day. Always a separate one for cash and checks. We'll often have more than one for checks. My staff, and I, really wish OD would simply total the cash deposits and enter it on the deposit slips instead of listing each one individually. It would save a little bookkeeping.
This still hasn't been fixed and it really needs to be. I don't mind running a second deposit slip but if multiple patients paid in cash it list it as separate deposit items (it handles it just like checks) instead of a total and is confusing for bank personnel. I know that it could be done manually but that adds another step to what should be an automated function. I understand that the deposit slip is a part of sheets and is customizable but I don't know what to use in the spot for the cash. The program should also place the cash total on the cash line if "The internal(default) sheet for deposit slips is designed to print onto preprinted QuickBooks forms"

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:13 am

There's nothing to "fix". It was designed to not support cash. The intent was for cash to be deposited every few days as a completely disconnected event from the patient payments. In other words, the amount deposited would never be the same as the payments made. You are supposed to exclude cash whenever you create a deposit slip. You are supposed to fill out cash deposit slips by hand using the forms provided by your bank. Adding a feature for cash deposit slips is exactly that, a new feature.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

atd

Post by atd » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:47 am

The intent was for cash to be deposited every few days as a completely disconnected event from the patient payments. In other words, the amount deposited would never be the same as the payments made.
I must be missing something. I don't understand how cash can be completely disconnected from patient payments and why it would never be the same as the payments made. We've always included cash on our Open Dental deposits. We type "cash" in the check number field in order to have it show on the deposit slip.

klinlv

Post by klinlv » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:19 am

jordansparks wrote:There's nothing to "fix". It was designed to not support cash. The intent was for cash to be deposited every few days as a completely disconnected event from the patient payments. In other words, the amount deposited would never be the same as the payments made. You are supposed to exclude cash whenever you create a deposit slip. You are supposed to fill out cash deposit slips by hand using the forms provided by your bank. Adding a feature for cash deposit slips is exactly that, a new feature.

Interesting , I am on a "cash accounting basis" as setup by my accountant. I have always treated payments, either cash or checks the same and have made the daily deposits of payments on one deposit slip listing cash and checks separately , originally manually then utilizing the practice management software. If it's going to be a new "feature" the I'll have to wait for it, and yes I voted for it in "feature request" a while back. (I just like to stir the pot)

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:34 am

Look at the bottom of
http://www.opendental.com/manual/transactionEdit.html
We always had a cashbox. Cash would go into the cashbox, and we would have an account in the Accounting portion of OD that tracked the amount of cash in that asset "account". From time to time, we would transfer cash from the cashbox to the checking account. The amount we transferred would be completely disconnected from any individual payments. That's how the system was designed. Looking back, I realize now that it was dangerous to have $2000 sitting in the cashbox for a week.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

atd

Post by atd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 pm

We've never used the accounting part of Open Dental - we use Quickbooks. So our CFO wants to have everything deposited (and show on the deposit slip) on a daily basis. We'll just keep doing it the way we have been. It would be nice if we didn't have to type "Cash" or VISA in the Check# field since we also have to select the correct payment type - but if we don't there's no way to tell on the deposit slip that is was cash or charge.