Digital Signatures

For users or potential users.
jclaydds

Digital Signatures

Post by jclaydds » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 am

This may be "expected behavior" but just want to ask.

We are trying to use the Forms Features with digital signatures utilizing Topaz Signature pads. I often will walk to my office to fill out charts. My auxillary may complete some of the chart but I elect to not totally delegate this task. I will often complete a chart in my office so I can concentrate a bit without as much interruption. With paper forms, I would usually take the consent form or post op form to my office, fill in any blanks on the form such as specific instructions, medications, etc and sign the forms. I would then give them to my dental assistant for her to review with the patient, give opportunity for the patient to ask me or the assistant questions and both the dental assistant and the patient would then sign the consent or instruction forms.

This same work flow is not working with the forms/digital signature feature. I walk to my office, complete the form(s) and sign them. I hit OK on the form. My assistant brings the form back up in the operatory and reviews with patient. Both of them sign the form but their signatures "overwrite" my signature that I signed a minute or two earlier. The only way we have figured out not for this to occur is for all three of us to sign the form before it is saved. I am guessing this was done for "legality" reasons but it the patient has several forms to sign, it keeps the doctor in the room until all the signing is complete. From a time efficiency, it sure would be nice for the doctor to sign the forms 1st and save the form, then reopen it in the operatory for everyone to finish signing the forms.

I certainly can understand if any information on the form was changed, the "signature invalid" feature should continue to function.

As stated, this may be "expected behavior" but not real time efficient.

jclaydds

Re: Digital Signatures

Post by jclaydds » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Follow Up to Original Post

Okay, in my private office, I put appropriate instructions on form and sign it and then hit Okay to save form. My dental assistant opens form a second time in operatory and reviews instructions with patient, asks patient if they have any questions, after all questions are answered, assistant and patient signs the form. When they sign, it appears on the screen that my signature (doctor's) is being overwritten by their signatures. When you save the form and then go back and look at the form or print it, all is correct. Even though the signature appears to be overwritten, it is not in the saved document. :P Life is good!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Digital Signatures

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm

I think we simply didn't anticipate anyone having multiple signature boxes. It has been added to the bug list since it sounds like it's still a little bit annoying.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com