Slow statement print

For users or potential users.
waynelyn

Slow statement print

Post by waynelyn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:28 am

I've gotta say it again. I love this software and I tell every dentist I know that they should be using this software.

On to my question: When printing a statement from the account, it takes about 20-30 seconds to print. This is an issue because most patients want a printout of the services for the day and on busy days my front office has to shoot the breeze for an awkward 20-30 seconds while the patient stands in front of them. Everything else from Open Dental prints out quickly and also from other programs as well. I'd be ok if it were anything else that prints slow. Any suggestions?

Currently on version 7.4.16 (we been experiencing this since we started on Open Dental Oct.1, 2010), using Windows XP Pro. Thanks.

Rickliftig

Re: Slow statement print

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:10 am

Our office has the same issue. And it is an annoyance. Funny though, that at the front desk, after OD has been up and running, the wait time disappears. But when I print a statement for the first time of the day from one of the lesser used workstations it does take that 20-30 seconds. Almost like a code module is being loaded or something (ie - Hard Disk Access issues)
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

waynelyn

Post by waynelyn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Hmm, I wish ours would speed up. Doesn't matter about the beginning the day or at the end of the day. Just got off the phone with support and it seems like its a real issue and they are looking into it. I'm surprised more people don't have this issue.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Look on our troubleshooting slowness page. Slow printing is right there. Is it a local printer or a shared printer?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:03 pm

if you have a printer connected any Windows VISTA computers you will have random slowness all the time. I had this same problem until I got rid of all of them on my network and upgraded to Windows7 and left some Windows XP systems.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

waynelyn

Post by waynelyn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

It's a local printer on my reception workstation, and it is shared over the network (although the same happens when it's not shared). I've got Windows XP Pro on all my workstations using Pentium Celerons 2.40 GHz, with 2 GB RAM. I have a Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 2 GB RAM workstation that is a little faster (5 seconds, but still 15 seconds to print).

atd

Post by atd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:27 am

Thought I would share info about Terminal Server printing. If you're using Terminal Server 2008, it has the easy print feature which allows your remote apps to print to the client printers without having to install the drivers on the server. Sounds like a great feature, however I found that the printing (and printing to screen) in Open Dental takes significantly longer if you don't install the drivers on the server. Without the drivers installed it took a minute and a half for the sign tx plan window to come up - with the drivers installed on the terminal server it only took 10 seconds.

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:30 am

I have a recurrent problem lately. Everything was fine since I installed OD in January. Since last week, I cannot print a statement easily. It hangs for over 2mintues, then tells me I have an error, then goes to print dialog box, then prints but tells me it cannot print because no image was saved. I can print other things like treatment plans, claims, etc. Only statements are giving me problems. And, I cannot import documents or photos from these 2 computers.

I called OD support, who could not figure it out, and my IT company is trying to work it out, but we don't know what is going on.....
Having the hang for the walkout statement stinks, as it should be fast so patients can be on their way......BTW< this just started last week, we haven't changed anything

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:50 pm

babysilvertooth wrote:tells me it cannot print because no image was saved
That sounds like the key to me. This is reinforced by your statement:
babysilvertooth wrote:And, I cannot import documents or photos from these 2 computers
Basically, your AtoZ folder is not able to be written to from these computers. So the problem isn't printing. The problem is saving files. That's what your IT guys need to fix. Try running OD by right click, As Admin. Try logging in as a different Windows user. Try changing both the Sharing Security and the Folder Security on the AtoZ folder. Once you fix that, your statements will start printing fast.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com