Tip: Insurance Verified Patient Field

For users or potential users.
atd

Tip: Insurance Verified Patient Field

Post by atd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:31 am

I realize this has been released for awhile now, but wanted to say thanks for the added features of being able to customize what shows on the appointment views. I also wanted to share what we've added that works great for our office.

We verify insurance once a month on our patients, because the majority are on Medicaid which can change from month to month but is good for the entire month. I added a custom patient field (date type) named "Insurance Verified". I have this displayed in the lower right corner of the appointment. When someone verifies a patient's insurance they update this field in the Family Module. When they are working off the schedule to verify insurance for the next day they can see at a glance who has already been verified that month and who hasn't, rather than having to click on every appointment and go to the family module to check.

After that had been in place for awhile, staff requested another patient field be added to the appointment screen. We called it "No Insurance" and I created a dropdown list of choices: PP (Private Pay), AP (Affordable Plan a.k.a sliding fee), NE (Not Eligible).

I don't know if these ideas would be helpful to other offices, but it saves our staff a lot of time and they are very happy with it. This is another reason why we're using Open Dental - the ability to easily customize things for our needs. Thanks!