Weird Write Off

For users or potential users.
cneelley

Weird Write Off

Post by cneelley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:13 pm

I put an insurance payment in today, entered the check as well. All seemed okay. I then decided I wanted to enter a write off. So, I went back to the insurance claim and made the write off in the procedure that was paid. When I entered the write off, the payment that I entered changed back to the default estimate value! What's worse, the create check total that I had previously entered changed it's value to the default insurance estimate total as well, even though that entry I had previously made was correct. No way did I want to change that entry!!!

I don't think that the program is supposed to do that. That could cause real problems.

Version 5.3.5

Dr. Neelley

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:38 pm

You say you "went back to the claim and made the writeoff". Now how did you do that exactly. You have the claim open. Now, did you double click on the that procedure and edit the writeoff inside the claimproc edit window? Or did you again click the button at the upper right for enter payment by procedure? Now when all this happened, had you already created the check, or had you just entered the payment amount without creating the check yet?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:10 pm

I am going back to the insurance claim. If I double click on the procedure itself that I want to add the write off, I get an error and it wants to close the program. If I highlight the procedure to edit, and then click by procedure, it changes the amount I have already entered as being paid to the insurance estimate.

I don't remeber what I did then, but the check entered amount was changed after I made the write off.

Can't remeber what I did to fix it.

Update- I think that when I first made the write off entry, I did not look to see if the total paid had changed, since I never did that in the past. Entering a write off in the insurance claim part never changed anything except add a write off to the account! This time the total paid defaulted to the insurance estimate and I was not watching. So that when I said okay, it also automatically changed the check total that I had already previously entered. I noticed that, so I went back into the claim part and re-entered the insurance paid total and it again changed the check entered total to match. I don't think that you want it doing this, as I think it was safer if I had to delete the check first!

Dr. Neelley

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:15 pm

I think the main problem is the known bug when you try to edit the claim proc. That's simple enough and will shortly be fixed. Of course is should not be allowed to alter an existing check amount. So we will test it some more after the main bug is fixed.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com