Awesome AIO touch screen deal and touch screen signing

For users or potential users.
teethdood

Awesome AIO touch screen deal and touch screen signing

Post by teethdood » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:41 am

I've been using regular desktops with Topaz signature pads with great success. I've since decided to upgrade to some all-in-one touch screen computers. This is an awesome deal:
Lenovo Ideacentre A700 23" touch screen
Core i3 CPU, 4GB RAM 500GB HDD Bluetooth KB/mouse/remote control for TV tuner
- 20% off - 5% Shopdiscover cashback = $706 plus tax, free shipping
It is also the only VESA-mountable AIO I've ever found

The user manual says I can sign with touch screens just like I would using a mouse. However I couldn't sign with a mouse. Can anyone else try signing using a mouse to see if it works? Anyone else using touch screens in lieu of the topaz?
Thanks
Last edited by teethdood on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

enamelrod

Re: Awesome AIO touch screen deal and touch screen signing

Post by enamelrod » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:51 am

do you have a link to where you purchased this item

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:10 am

To sign with a pen tablet or a computer that has a pen or stylus, just use the pen as a mouse and move the cursor over the box where the signature goes. Do not select the SIGN TOPAZ button. Just write with the pen inside the box. You can see how this works with your regular mouse, but it's not easy to sign with a mouse. Just move the cursor with your mouse to the signature box and press the left mouse button as you move the mouse inside the box.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:32 am

Jorge,

Thank you. Silly me, I clicked on the sign button which was why it didn't work.

enamelrod,
go to lenovo.com, choose the Ideacentre A700, listed at $929. Use ecoupon LASTCHANCE for 20% off. If you have a Discover Card, sign in to discover's website, sign up for the 5% cashback bonus, 1 click sign up, then go to their listing of retailers, choose Lenovo. If you go that route through discover's portal, you get an additional 5% off = $706. Did I mention that it is 1 of only 2 AIOs to be VESA compliant. None of the others from any retailer except for 1 other model of Sony AIO listed at $2000+ allow you to mount to your chairside VESA mount. I spent 5 days researching this man. Sooo tired. They don't tell you this in the specs. One other thing if you decide to get in on it, be sure your mount is able to support the load. It is like 32lbs I believe.
I bought 5 of them so the savings are huge! It used to be 10% off only, but now it's 25%.
Philip H. Doan, DDS

irfan

Post by irfan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:56 pm

on a side note, a cheap wacom bamboo tablet should work just the same, no? it would be awkward for a patient to use since they wouldnt be used to the pen as input and would be wondering how to move the cursor, but for assts/frontdesk/drs to sign TPs/notes it would be cheaper than topaz and easier than a mouse.

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 am

Yes, I use a Wacom tablet to sign progress notes. It's not useful for patient's signatures because you have to get used to signing on something were you don't see any ink and the area for signing is small. For a patient I would prefer one of the topaz pads that show what you write as you sign on it.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:06 pm

msiwind computers also are wall mountable and have one feature that your product doesnt a vga video out for a second monitor... they have a large line of these units theve been around for a long time.

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodpa ... at2_no=655

All-in-One PC ET2400XVT
asus also makes one.

ive been researching for 5 years on this ...lol

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:25 pm

They really should advertise VESA compliance for these AIO computers right off the bat. I hated having to dig through so many sites/spec sheets just for this information. For what it's worth, the Lenovos I just ordered have HDMI in/out. I could conceivably get a second monitor that supports HDMI, or an HDMI-to-VGA converter for $30 that would do the same thing.

The Asus ET2400XVT retails for $1820 on amazon (better specs of course. Are you kidding me? it has a 3D screen/3D glasses!!!). MSI is a pain to order/configure. :-) Just thought this Lenovo deal was pretty good for dental use/small wow factor.

One thing I don't like is the fact that infection control is going to be challenging. Everyone is going to be touching the screen after shoving their fingers in their mouth. Can't spray wipe spray with Birex on that screen.
Philip H. Doan, DDS

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 am

yeah their top of the line is pricey but sony has been charing that for as long as i can remember for their touchscreen units back when xp pro was the os running it. keep me posted on your systems performance