Windows Crashing

For users or potential users.
jclaydds

Windows Crashing

Post by jclaydds » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 am

Using Version 7.5.14
I use Crash Plan for several months now to back up Open Dental to an external hard drive attached to my home laptop. Per Dr. Spark's recommendations, I will often restore my Open Dental data to my home laptop to verify my backups are working properly

I am getting a serious Windows Error -- "Blue Screen of Death" after restoring my Open Dental data file and the A to Z folder to my home laptop.

After restoring the files, I start up Open Dental. I get a message that Open Dental can't find the A to Z folder so I have to give it the correct path for my home laptop. Open Dental then tries to start up and I get a message similar to "Optimizing graphics for tooth chart". That takes a minute or so and then Open Dental starts. I use Open Dental initially without any problems and usually after exiting Open Dental is when I get the "blue screen of death".

I suspect it has something to do with video so I wonder if the "Optimizing graphics for tooth chart" is responsible for the error.

The Windows error message is as follows:
Technical Information:
Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF053B6E, 0xA6660870, 0x00000000)
Nv4-disp.dll - Address BF05B6E base at BF012000, Date Stamp 48933877

If it is an error related to video, not sure if this is important but I have an external LCD video monitor attached to my home laptop.

This has now happened three times in the last week or two. Once, I closed Open Dental, reopened it and got an unhandled exception with Open Dental when I tried to bring up tooth chart. Sorry, didn't grab the error message from Open Dental on that error but got a large red X over the entire tooth chart and no teeth or tooth numbers were visible. Tooth chart was blank.

Any ideas?

Jeff

JamesS

Re: Windows Crashing

Post by JamesS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Its definately graphics card related. Try updating the graphics drivers and see if that fixes the problem.