Hard disk space is full

For users or potential users.
fishdrzig

Hard disk space is full

Post by fishdrzig » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 am

Hello My 149GB 4yr old "peer to peer" server is full. I thought I would ask her for suggestions as to what to do now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

drtech

Re: Hard disk space is full

Post by drtech » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 am

just get yourself a 1.5 TB drive for $59 and install it...then transfer your data to that drive and start storing there. You can leave the operating system on the other drive so you don't have to mess with that.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... TSD-1500AS $59
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Mifa

Post by Mifa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:48 am

I've had a similar problem a few months ago. Transferring data from the old and small HDD to the new and big one can be tricky... I've downloaded clonezilla and the user manual for cloning small drives to bigger ones. It went like a charm, simple, fast and efficient, and it took real nice care of the different drive size. Plugged the new drive in place of the old one and everything worked perfectly. I can't remember if I had to use gparted first to format the new drive.

loopslike

Post by loopslike » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:02 am

7-zip is a wonderful high compression ratio zipper, which sometimes zip your file to half size of original one. It is free also. So you can partially solve your problem now. But permanent problem is to replace your hard drive.
austin dental
Austin, Texas

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I did run Windows compression and it freed up about 35gb. My question, if I get a USB 1TB hard drive, plug it into my peer-to-peer and transfer all the OD images to it, can I then access it from my client computers and add to it when I want? If so, then I delete all the OD images on my server and all it well again?

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Any other help would be much appreciated, Thank you

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 pm

You can copy the ODimages over to your new drive. Then you would have to enable "File and Print Sharing", right click on the new ODimages folder, click Sharing, give it a name. Now go to Open Dental, update your Data Paths to reflect your new drive's location. For example,

Server name: Drzig
Client: frontdesk1, where you just installed your new 1TB drive and copied over the ODimages to it, say, D:\ODimages

Right click on it, select Sharing.
Now update Open Dental's Data Paths in all your computers to use \\frontdesk1\ODimages

It should work fine. However like the other posts, why not just use clonezilla or Norton Ghost and clone your old hard drive to the new, install the new in its place and baseball bat the old drive to smithereens for security. While you're at it, just buy TWO 2TB drives (Staples had it on sale for $69) and run software RAID on them to safeguard against drive crashes? Let me know if you need help with that. Good luck
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:26 am

Phil

Thanks so much for the details, I understand better now. I will let you know. Much appreciated.

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:08 pm

im not sure what all the complex stuff is but just go to the store and buy the drive you need and ask them for a data transfer cable. and copy the thing? then take the old drive out and put in the new one.just did it last night.