Autonotes

For users or potential users.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Autonotes

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:19 am

Currently, autonotes allow point and click note generation through a series of popups. I would like to change this to be a series of boxes all on one larger scrollable form. In other words, the user would just stay on one screen without any popups. They could jump around rather than doing the options in order. Once done clicking to fill out the "form", they would push a button to turn it into a note. It would warn them if they forgot sections. One thing I like about this is that it would require no changes to anyone's current autonotes that they have set up. Also, users are accustomed to filling out forms, and this would match easily with their expectations. I would like feedback on this change please.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Re: Autonotes

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:27 am

jordansparks wrote:Currently, autonotes allow point and click note generation through a series of popups. I would like to change this to be a series of boxes all on one larger scrollable form. In other words, the user would just stay on one screen without any popups. They could jump around rather than doing the options in order. Once done clicking to fill out the "form", they would push a button to turn it into a note. It would warn them if they forgot sections. One thing I like about this is that it would require no changes to anyone's current autonotes that they have set up. Also, users are accustomed to filling out forms, and this would match easily with their expectations. I would like feedback on this change please.
Interesting thought Jordan - I would strongly suggest the ability to group buttons (and label a box) by placing them in highlighted rectangles (preferably rounded and gradient-tinted (eye-candy)). Sort of like Stardock's "fences" utility.

I'll add the following requests: the ability to add a background image, radio buttons, free form drawing and of course free-form text box and signature box.

Easy editing is a must.

I think that it would be a good addition and would certainly help clarify this aspect of Open Dental for the new offices.

best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:32 am

I would add a "default" setup with the most commonly used items already selected. For example, SRP means 2 carps 1:100K epi 2% lidocaine unless we click something else. This would save quite a few clicks. In addition, OD wouldn't have to warn the user of any forgotten sections because of the default.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

alkhaef

Post by alkhaef » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Dr. Sparks,

I think this is a great idea, even in its most basic sense.

This may not be simple enough for the first iteration of it, but if you could give us the ability to impose some kind of per-field data type enforcement (string vs integer vs real) on the person leaving the notes, as well as some basic widget options - radio aka option buttons, single-line, multiline, etc... Then that would make things quite a bit faster. ... Can't imagine making a straightforward enough interface for that kind of flexibility though :(
Al
Help! I've OD'ed on OD! :)

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Rickliftig wrote: I'll add the following requests: the ability to add a background image, radio buttons, free form drawing and of course free-form text box and signature box.
This isn't a sheet. We have exam sheets already. Autonotes is just a formal way to generate plain text. So I don't understand these requests unless they were tongue-in-cheek.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 am

jordansparks wrote:
Rickliftig wrote: I'll add the following requests: the ability to add a background image, radio buttons, free form drawing and of course free-form text box and signature box.
This isn't a sheet. We have exam sheets already. Autonotes is just a formal way to generate plain text. So I don't understand these requests unless they were tongue-in-cheek.

Not tongue in cheek at all- you helped clarify what the feature would become... I'd still support a way to organize the display with rectangles and lines. Also, a free-form text box would be convenient, but not absolutely necessary.

Now this would be a great jumping offpoint for another new feature - a new patient encounter "autonote"/form/check- This sheet which would be used by the front desk. I foresee a form that would be for limited exam patients also. I know this isn't exactly germane to the discussion, but food for thought when you talk about check off boxes and the like.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:37 pm

This may be a great idea. We have auto notes set up for appt entires (exam, composite, ext, etc) and phone triage (consult, trauma,pain). Works very efficiently now. Only thing is if you skip past a prompt or miss a check box, you need to cancel, then restart. So this should save time and ensure accuracy- a way to proofread before finalizing.
Still wish you and the programmers would spend the time on the high priority requests that are a difficulty of 1 or 2 that won't take much time. These enhancements that would truly increase usability, or rather allow functiionality (like being able to send a recall card for a child, or print a thank you letter to a referral source by simply adding such static fields, or having a referral list that doesn't take forever to search/select names) are far more important than modifying the auto notes feature which is already very functional.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:30 pm

It is useful to discuss plans far in advance.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Karrie000

Post by Karrie000 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Jordan I absolutely love the autonotes. What you are suggesting I think would be fine. Once in a while I fly through the pop ups so fast that I miss something and can't go back until after the note is done and then edit. It might be nice to have one full page pop up and skip around. That way when the patient is in the chair I could leave the auto note open and fill in as I go.

Drsurubin

Saving auto note as file, so you can share.

Post by Drsurubin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:10 am

Suggestion
Hi Dr. Sparks
A very important feature that auto notes should have, is to be able to save your notes as a file, so the Dentists could share with others.
Lots of Dentists expent lot of hours developing their notes and they might want to share with others.
I saw this feature in Easy Notes Pro and is very helpfull.

Thanks
Fernando

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:56 am

I spent much time setting up autonotes and I think it works just fine the way it is.

Smilesbypayet

Re: Saving auto note as file, so you can share.

Post by Smilesbypayet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:54 am

Drsurubin wrote:Suggestion
Hi Dr. Sparks
A very important feature that auto notes should have, is to be able to save your notes as a file, so the Dentists could share with others.
Lots of Dentists expent lot of hours developing their notes and they might want to share with others.
I saw this feature in Easy Notes Pro and is very helpfull.

Thanks
Fernando
I think this would be an AWESOME idea.

Would there be a way to make autonotes a "drag-n-drop" feature? You know, with the list of notes on one side that you've customized, you could click and drag it to anywhere within the note you want?

The suggestion to have a group of similar notes be put into shaded/bordered boxes with slight separation would be great, too. With the current list, you have to read down the list carefully to get to the one you want unless you're REALLY familiar.

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:00 am

Jordan

I think this would be an excellent addition to auto notes. I do find that there are currently some limitations. For example, I have a very long auto-note for comprehensive exams. The pop-up windows and inability to freely move around or go backward without aborting the checkbox format makes it difficult for an assistant to use during the exam procedure. Even during short procedure notes, I often find myself having to go back and fill in data that I accidentally click past.

I love it! Is this a feature that we need to vote for, or is it in the works?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Request #1702.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks

In the meanwhile, would it be difficult to improve autonotes by moving the input window away from the middle of the screen (so that the main body of the note can be seen) and have the autonote scroll automatically as inputs are being made? Very long autonotes (any longer than the main window) can't be seen once the input items are beyond the bottom of the window.

John

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:10 pm

jrpappy wrote: In the meanwhile, would it be difficult to improve autonotes by moving the input window away from the middle of the screen (so that the main body of the note can be seen) and have the autonote scroll automatically as inputs are being made?
John - Agree 100% - that would help out a lot.

Rick

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 am

One more thought on the use of auto-notes in a sheet. I used to use a program called "Dx-report". This allowed me to generate a letter to patients and build the framework with what was essentially an auto-note.

So the letter would be like this:

Dear (Bob),

It was great meeting you the other day. We appreciate the fact that (Tony) told you about our office and we want you know that we will treat you as we treat our own family.

During the exam you expressed concern about (bleeding gums) and we are very concerned about this also. The exam showed that you have (localized areas) of (bone loss) between the (Upper right) molars. This is called (periodontitis) and it can easily lead to tooth loss and decay.....

---------------------------------------------------

etc. etc. The parenthesis are of course multiple choice boxes or filled in from the database. It seems that all of the elements are already available in Open Dental and it would just take a little tweaking to put them together.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:09 pm

I like the checkbox idea. I also wouldnt mind if it was drop-down style broken into groups.. like drop down for how many ml of anesthetic, drop down for liodcaine/etc, drop down for epi (or combine into the anesthetic dropdown), and then a button to add another line for anesthetic incase you use multiple types.

anything that makes notes keyboard-free as possible is a plus in my book.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:40 am

It's funny you should bring that up. We are in the process of adding dropdown boxes to sheets. It's a totally different topic from autonotes which do not have layout capabilities. In sheets, the dropdowns that we are adding are not in-line like you have in your example. They're more for showing results of exams. But it doesn't sound too hard to add in-line dropdowns to both sheets and autonotes some day.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Fantastic, Jordan. Drop-downs on sheets would revolutionize. No more exams in MS Word, printing, importing and all that junk. Can't wait!

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:00 am

will sheets support multiple pages? Sounds like some of us complicate life with very extravagant exams, and multiple pages in sheets would help. Otherwise, we can make mutiple sheets for each page of exam form.

Drop down menus sounds cool. Thanks!

John

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Jordan...

I echo what Joe and John just said!!!! I look forward to making PSR and Diagnodent sheets!

I know that you can't promise timelines etc. but are you thinking that this is a 7.6 thing?

also since John mentioned multi-page sheets...I want to make up a medical history sheet soon but got WAY to many questions for one sheet...If I temporarly create two separate sheets will there be an easy way to bridge the two sheets into one sheet after multi-page sheets are added? or is best to hold off a little and stick to paper medical history forms until it is added?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm pretty sure they would always remain as two separate sheets. That doesn't seem like a big deal, though. It could be a little while until multi-page sheets.

Dropdowns: 20% chance part of 7.6. 60% chance part of 7.7. 20% chance we don't do it yet.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

atd

Post by atd » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:36 am

I think users would love to be able to complete the note in whatever order they wish. I setup lengthy auto notes for exams and not everyone wants to go in the order I chose. However, I was planning to setup an exam sheet to replace these exam auto notes, since we setup the auto note based on a paper form used in our old charts. What are the pros/cons of using the exam sheet feature vs. having everything in the procedures notes?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:29 pm

The exam sheet can be a pain to set up if there are a lot of elements. It helps a lot of you start with a background created in some other software. That's the main drawback that I can think of.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 am

Jordan,
Was really hoping for the sheets with drop downs by now. I am aware you did not say for sure- but 60% in 7.7 got my hopes up. Once we have it, within a couple of days I will not need to use my custom forms I made in ms word. Still setting up the exams with merge, unlocking and pasting my sig after exam, printing the doc to jpeg in UDC, and importing into Cliniview- all taking too long, not to mention word is running slower and slower. So I need another alternative asap. May I ask how far you've gotten on this feature?
Many Thanks,
Joe

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Which is why I should have refused to give any estimate at all. As I have said repeatedly, any estimate we ever give about time can be considered vaporware and is 100% unreliable. Plans should be made using the current feature set only.

I can't remember exactly why we abandoned it. I think the customer who was paying for it decided to take some other path. Sorry.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:45 am

I'd be willing to commit some $ to this cause. this would be a first for me, so I'm not sure how it works. How much? What does a donation get me in terms of turnaround time on request?

Anyone else willing to commit a bit of $ toward a big improvement in Autonotes?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:15 pm

You would start by getting familiar with our feature request system. Place some votes on your favorite features and see if you can bump them higher on the priority list where they will be noticed by others. If you feel like you want to bump a feature request higher, you have the option of pledging some money. The more you pledge, the higher it can go. It doesn't guarantee action on our part, but we do tend to start at the top of the list and work our way down.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:24 am

In summary, there are about 5 different requests being discussed in this thread. The first one is the one that I started with this thread:
#1702: Autonotes, instead of popups, use the selection choices directly in the note.
This one is totally unrelated and is for sheets, not autonotes:
#2050: Sheet combobox dropdown selections
It was not even on the request list, so I just added it.
This one has zero votes:
#1368: Autonotes scroll for long notes so that input can be seen.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm

jordansparks wrote:Currently, autonotes allow point and click note generation through a series of popups. I would like to change this to be a series of boxes all on one larger scrollable form. In other words, the user would just stay on one screen without any popups. They could jump around rather than doing the options in order. Once done clicking to fill out the "form", they would push a button to turn it into a note. It would warn them if they forgot sections. One thing I like about this is that it would require no changes to anyone's current autonotes that they have set up. Also, users are accustomed to filling out forms, and this would match easily with their expectations. I would like feedback on this change please.
It's been a long time since this was discussed. What is happening with it?
It would be fantastic. Is it getting any closer?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:44 pm

I guess this has been put on the back burner.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Still watching for this. Are there any updates planned that may make notes more user friendly?

David Burton

Post by David Burton » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 am

If anyone doesn't mind, I would liket o weigh in on this discussion. Rather than everyone hound Jordan Sparks for changes to his autonote feature, I would suggest that Jordan might want to incorporate EasyNotesPro 2 into his software via a nice bridge. ENP2 is a whole different world of writing clincal notes. Nothing, and I repeat nothing comes close to ENP2 in it's capabilities. All of the Open Dental users including me ( YES, I too use Open Dental in my practice) could benefit from a more tightly integrated and faster note writing capability than the autonote feature of OD. Why wait for Jordan to try and build something when ENP2 is blistering the note writing capbility of the dental industry along with the forms concept that Jordan is discussing. Jordan, the capability of a software to do what your users requests already exists in ENP2.

In addition, ENP2 allows for FLEXIBILITY in it's capability to be customized!

I eagerly await any feedback to this post!

David Burton DDS ( Inventor of EasyNotesPro 1 and 2 )

klinlv

Post by klinlv » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 am

I would also love to see a link to Easy Notes Pro 2 ( the was a link to ENP1)

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 am

It sounds like ENP2 bridges differently than ENP1. In which case it should be added as a feature request so that other users can know about it, vote on it and pledge towards it in order to get it completed quicker.

http://opendental.com/manual/featurerequests.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:08 pm

The ENP2 bridge has been added as a feature request. Req #2950 for those of you who want to show support for the development of that bridge.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

helliwell

Post by helliwell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:05 am

We've been on OD only 4 months. I use the Autonotes for most routine clinical notes, but I just changed how I use it. Going through individual prompts for "material", "anesthetic", "condition", etc was a real pain, having to click an option and go to the next prompt. Instead, I've designed my Autonote, say, for "posterior composites" as a multiresponse note and list ALL the checkboxes on one prompt. so material,base, anesthetic, condition, options all show on one prompt instead of individual prompts. MUCH easier to run down the list and click 'em all on one screen and your DONE!
A.J. Helliwell, DDS, FAGD
Newport Beach, CA
drh@helliwelldds.com

jimgaas

Post by jimgaas » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Please don't get rid of autonotes! We have very strict charting requirements here in Minnesota and autonotes allows me to chart to these requirements very quickly and easily. If you offer an alternative, please don't throw away autonotes.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 pm

I agree, I love autonotes. Took a while to set up, but very easy to use.