Let Open Dental Track Health History Updates

For users or potential users.
jclaydds

Let Open Dental Track Health History Updates

Post by jclaydds » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Just a thought. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone trying this but it seems like it would work so I thought I would run it by the forum. We do verbal health history updates at hygiene recalls and occasionally at restorative visits. We have our patients complete a new health history form usually every 5 years. We often will pick up medical conditions/new medications that the patient forgot to tell us or mention during the verbal updates. Unfortunately, it is difficult for the front desk staff to remember to check back and see when the last health history was completed and then figure out if it is has been 5 years, etc. Do you think it would work to create a dummy code (N#####) for Health History Update and post this dummy code when the patient completes a health history? The thought would be then to create a recally type based on this health history dummy code and put a 5 year interval on it. Open Dental would then tell you when the next Health History update would be due just like it tells you when the next prophy or bitewings or FMX is due. I can't see why this wouldn't work. Thoughts?

Jeff

asanders

Re: Let Open Dental Track Health History Updates

Post by asanders » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:40 pm

I think that would work fine.

What I would like to see - at least what I'm trying to implement - is an electronic health history that could be easily changed periodically. Even better is if it could be set to pop-up automatically after a predetermined amount of time (say 3 or 6 months). I envision a patient's health history popping up on the screen when their status is marked "in room". Thus, it would let us know that it's time to update it.

Same thing with insurance and demographics. I really think we could tie in updates based on the status of the patient. For instance, if a trigger is set-up that will staff know it's time to update patient demographics, then when the patient status is "arrived", the demographic window will pop-up. When the information is updated, then the patient will be marked ready.

Same thing for consents. If we use a consent for extractions for instance, then when the patient's status is changed to "arrived" or "in room", the consent form would pop up.

Really excited about the direction of Open Dental. I think there are many levels of automation that could be implemented that would keep an office on track.

Sorry for the tangent.

-sanders

asanders

Post by asanders » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 am

Spam I presume.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 am

asanders wrote:Spam I presume.
I love finding out the latest about 'whiter and brighter' teeth! :lol:
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

asanders

Post by asanders » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 pm

bump

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:11 pm

That's the goal, and the foundation is the fairly new window for Patient Forms. Do you regularly use that window? The features you describe will be built as enhancements to that window, so it would be good to think in those terms. Another way the enhancements will happen is as part of the automation system. We now have conditions for automation (there's only one condition so far). So try to think in terms of how the automation framework can be expanded. That's where the meaningful triggers and popups are going to be set.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:58 am

"Secret, shall I tell you? Grand Master of Jedi Order am I. Won this job in a raffle I did, think you? "How did you know, how did you know, Master Yoda?" Master Yoda knows these things. His job it is." :lol:

Couldn't resist!
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Geez. What is it that attracts spammers to this thread? I deleted the post, but here's what it said in case you wonder what the mocking is all about.
Very good decision. I like your thought. But at the same time i have been greatly shocked because your dummy code is not work. If it is, You can go a programmer to solve the problem. Programmer can help you lot for this aspects.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com