Restoring backup on workstation computer?

For users or potential users.
khdilger

Restoring backup on workstation computer?

Post by khdilger » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:22 pm

I take my laptop back and forth to the office and I use it in my private office to access open dental. I would also like to use the same computer to confirm a good backup when I am at home. How can this be done? The version of OD that I have on my laptop is the version that I installed from the servers setup file. Do I need to run two different instances to be able to have a server install to confirm backups and a workstation install to use at the office?

Thanks,
Kenny

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Restoring backup on workstation computer?

Post by jordansparks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:50 am

The risk in doing this is that you will connect to the backup while at the office, then forget that you are connected to the backup and start entering patient data. The data you entered will then be lost.

Other than that, it's very easy. Just turn your laptop into a server. Don't open port 3306 because you don't want anyone else in the office to connect to you. Shut down the mysql server before copying files from the server to the laptop.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:45 pm

I think I tried doing this but possibly I must have done it wrong. To make my laptop a server and a work station do I need my registration keys? I was never actually given the registration key, during the install they entered it in for me.

When I make my laptop a server how do I switch it back to being a work station? Simply select the offices server instead of local host?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:26 pm

No, you don't need registration key. Just copy the database to the new location.

Yes, just specify a different server when connecting.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 am

How do I turn my laptop workstation into a server? Can I simply download the trial version and reinstall as a server? Or is there another version/install file I should use? Right now my laptop is not running mysql because I set it up as a workstation.

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:51 am

Well, I downloaded the trial version and just selected the MySQL install and then restored from crashplan and it works locally. Good.