Merge Patient Feature

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Merge Patient Feature

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:28 pm

I had forgotten that the 'merge patients" feature had been added (It's not in the online manual afaik). But, re-discovered it this weekend and must say that it works beautifully.

It can be found under Tools->Misc Tools->Merge Patients
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

atd

Re: Merge Patient Feature

Post by atd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 am

I had no idea this was added! Trying to merge patients manually was very tedious and sometimes not worth the effort, I'm thrilled this has been implemented.

atd

Re: Merge Patient Feature

Post by atd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 am

I tried this for the first time today. For the most part it worked like a charm, just noticed a few small issues.

1) The patient I did a test on has all primary teeth. After the merge the permanent teeth (in gray) show even lower in the chart; they almost go off the graphic. The teeth "movement" values must have been added together. Is the solution to not try to incorporate any movements from the patient record you're archiving and just use the one you're moving to? Or if they are the same in both places, just use one or ?

2) The "old" insurance (from the patient to be archived) became primary, the original primary was moved to secondary. I would prefer the old policy was dropped (but still moved), since I'm going to be merging to the most recent of the two patients.

3) I ended up with two prophy recalls and had to go in and manually delete one of them.

Otherwise, everything worked great. I didn't see how the medical history info worked though.
After the merge, is there any reason to not delete the old record? I see it automatically archives it.