A to Z Image File Path

For users or potential users.
savvy

A to Z Image File Path

Post by savvy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:45 pm

So it seems, I do things differently........

This morning I had a problem. One of my staff members was trying to scan an EOB into a patient's file using our non-TWAIN compliant scanner.
To do this, one needs to access the A-Z patient folder.
Today, though, the patient was not listed in this folder.
However, when one went to the Image Module of the patient, there were multiple images listed.
Hmmmmmmmmm........
The patient is Aaron Nelson.
When an image was opened and the info was highlighted, it seems the image was located underN/Erin Nelson/AaronNelson.jpeg.
Going back to the A-Z folder, there is in fact an ErinNelson folder (though I have no patient named Erin Nelson).
How can this be, I ask.

Got Amber on the phone......she tried to fix it, but alas...no go.
It turns out, she says, that once a patient has been entered into the system (incorrectly or not), that initial input stays with the patient for ever.

I say, "No, that can't be right...No one would design a system that if inputted incorrectly (misspelled, perhaps) would result in an uncorrectable permanent data set. Open Dental is way to slick for that to happen........Right?

WRONG!

According to Nathan and Luke, this my friends is considered a FEATURE REQUEST.
So hope none of your staff members enter erroneous info, that none of your young female patients get married and change their name, that none of your brutally angered and vicious female divorced patients want to have nothing to do with their lying, cheating, good for nothin', scum bag of a husband......except they must always and forever be associated by the dirt bag's last name......
because friends...one may be able to get one's marriage anulled by the Pope, a divorce decree by Judge Whaptner......but in the eyes of Open Dental.......Death doesn't even do you part.................
..........this is a special feature request.

Busted by the spelling patrol........fortunately, this post was editable 8)
Last edited by savvy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

Joe Gordon

Re: A to Z Image File Path

Post by Joe Gordon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Wow. Perhaps erroneous could be more of a bug if inquired in a particular manner.

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:36 am

Have you tried doing the following to avoid looking in the A-Z folder:
Scan document into the "My Documents" folder from your non twain scanner, then import from the image module in Open Dental.
If you ever need to find a document in the A-Z folder, select one of the patient's documents in the images module and then click on the info button. This will give you the complete path to the document, including the mis-spelled name.
Jordan, exactly when does Open Dental make a folder for the patient? Is it when you enter the patient info as a new record or when you add the first document in the images module?
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

savvy

Post by savvy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:38 am

Sure....
I'm not saying that there isn't a work around....
or many work arounds, for that matter.
I'm saying, that if you had a patient named Joe Patient, there ought to be an image file called Joe Patient.....
Not a folder named Jho Payshunt with Joe Patient's images in side it.

What's the point of having individual image folders if they can't be directly related to an individual?

It is extremely easy to create this issue......
I'll bet everyone has a situation....but doesn't know it.
White or Whyte or Wite
Kosby or Cosby
Johns or Jons
Berkeley or Berkley
Smith or Smyth
Andersen or Anderson
Vallie or Hvale

or....
Your long time patient Mary A. Smith gets married to Pedram Hoogasian, changes her name, and is now known by her middle name "Alex" Hoogasian (Alexandra Hoogasian). You sell your practice and your loyal front desk person retires, Alex gets a divorce and changes her name back to Smith, as well as goes to a new dentist. The guy that bought your practice becomes upset, because he thinks his only famous patient, 49ers Quarterback, has found a new dentist. Relucantly, he copies all his records and sends them to the new dentist. That office calls back very perplexed, the records are not for the correct Alex Smith....it's a different Alex Smith. The dentist can't seem to find any info. He calls OpenDental for help. The opendental staff look into the A-Z file trying to find Alex Smith......no, no Alex Smith......perhaps Alex Whogasian.....no, no alex whogasion......sorry, we can't help you.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Sure, the answer is very simple. It's been that way for over 7 years and we have not yet had the resources to make it more elegant. No system is perfect. We compromise and prioritize. It will be enhanced some day. I'm sure that answer won't make you happy, but it is the answer. It's definitely a feature request.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

savvy

Post by savvy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:43 am

Luke stated that one should never need to access the A-Z Folder.
If that is true....
Please tell me how users of Apteryx import a document created using the Document List from the Apteryx program (In my case, Cliniview)?

In my case, I have a patient's Cliniview file open. I select the image that I want. From the Document List, I chose the appropriate template (Dr Smith Oral Surgery Referral Pano).
The document appears as an MS Word doc with image. All the patient's image info is automatically included in print form. Now one needs to save this document as a Save As to a designated location, in my case the patient's Oral Surgery file located in the Image Module of OD.
The only way I know of doing this is to enter the A-Z folder, find the patient file and Save the document as follows:
\\Server\data (d)\OpDentImages\P\PatientName\OS Smith Referral FMXThirds.DOC

If there is another way to do this via OD...I'm all ears.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:57 am

you can save it to a central location folder on your desktop or my documents (such as a folder named "~savebox" to put it at the top of your alphabetized list) and then import that folder using OD's import button.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com