Help with questions on OD please

For users or potential users.
ray5100

Help with questions on OD please

Post by ray5100 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:29 pm

HI

Just signed in, looking to get a management software for new startup. Office will have six operatories, and need to link everything with computers. Would like to do everything possible on line. I had a few questions:

Does Open Dental have?

Scheduling included?

Perio charting included? Can perio charting and restorative charting be easily attached to claims sent electronically? How about radiographs? I am looking at the Suni and Dexis sensors, but open to sugestions. Is there a certain e claim company required or suggested?

Can I link on line with insurance companies to verify eligibility and benefits. (not on the phone, but through the computer)

Intraoral camera and digital camera: can images be stored in patient’s chart?

Do I install software on server for whole office? Or are separate modules needed in operatories? Can I schedule from operatory?

Does it work with Windows 7, with 64 bit operating system? Very important!!

Who is installing? Am I allowed to do it myself?

Support, monthly fee, what is included and what is excluded?

Thank you very much. I am looking at Easy Dental and Eagle Soft also.

Thank you from Ray

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Help with questions on OD please

Post by jordansparks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Scheduling: yes.
Perio chart: yes. Easily attach to e-claims: sort of. Best results with ClaimConnect.
Radiographs: As far as Open Dental is concerned, the software is what's important rather than the sensor hardware. We recommend XDR or Apteryx, but there are lots of others.
Electronic eligibility: yes, but the info coming back from carriers is sparse.
Install database on server, and client program on each workstation. Same modules in operatories. Yes, you can schedule from op.
Win7, 64 bit: yes.
You normally install.
Fee $149/month. Goes down to $99/month after one year. Training is charged separately. http://www.opendental.com/manual/fees.html

Hope to have you as a customer soon.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

ray5100

Post by ray5100 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Thank you very much for the speedy reply. I get the idea.

I will look into XDR or Apteryx then. So, XDR is the software and can be used with any sensor hardware, if I understand correctly. I will also search the site for answers and comments from memebers.

So far thank you very much. Wow, it works with 64 bit sotware. The only one. ES and Dentrix, Easy Dental don't .

Ray Lander, DMD

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 pm

They STILL don't work with 64 bit? I find that fascinating. I think it took us over 6 months to finally track down the last few 64 bit bugs for things like printing and signature pads. But that was a long time ago. It seems like kind of a basic thing.

Yes, the imaging software can work with multiple different sensors. Hardware support is also important, for example, for panos and intraoral cameras. Apteryx has worked hard to support most brands out there, and there are surprisingly many.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

ray5100

Post by ray5100 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:49 pm

They do not, and they tell you 64 bit is not a good idea after all! I will look at Apteryx. Thank you again for the kind and speedy answers.

Although, I was thinking if I get Dexis Platinum sensor, the big advantage is great image quality and very fast and easy software, with the one click full mouth series. Indeed it takes 5 minutes. I am a general dentist.

Thank you from Ray