Install issue on Windows 7

For users or potential users.
chris48178

Install issue on Windows 7

Post by chris48178 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:22 am

Hello. I am new to OpenDent. I am assuming tech support for an existing OpenDent office.
I have installed successfully on 8 new XP workstations. There is one new Windows 7, wall mount, touch screen station that is giving me issues.
Not sure if this is how it is traditionally set up, but here is what I have:

The server (MS Windows Server 2003, Server1) also contains a share \\server1\OpenDentalInstaller\Release

On all the XP stations I ran OpenDentalInstaller.exe choose workstation and pointed them to server1
The version on the server is higher, so I go through the workstation upgrade process.
All is good, workstations work fine.

For the Windows 7 machine I run through the same install process, it says it completes, but I am only seeing:
C:\Program Files\Open Dental\ConversionFiles, no other program files
The shortcut created on the desktop points to a non existent "C:\Program Files\Open Dental\OpenDental.exe"

I was not left with any software or manuals from the previous administrator (other than the shared folder).

Any suggestions?

-Chris

wjstarck

Re: Install issue on Windows 7

Post by wjstarck » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 am

Is the Windows 7 box 32 or 64 bit? And OD has never been installed on it before (except for your failed install), right? What version of Windows 7?

I would:

1) Disable the network adapter, so there is no connection to the server, for safety's sake
2) Uninstall OD from the Windows 7 box (if anything shows in Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall)
3) Delete the following if they exist:
-C:\OpenDentImages
-C:\Program Files\OpenDental
-might want to check in C:\Program Files (x86) too if this is a 64 bit box
4) See if there is a C:\mysql\data folder. If so, this workstation may have been inadvertently set up as a server.
5) Make sure .NET 3.5 SP1 is installed - install it if not.
6) Re-enable your NIC, then go here -> http://www.opendental.com/trial.html, and download the trial version. Save to desktop, right click and run as administrator. Select the 'Workstation' install. That should install OD properly.
7) Once OD is installed, right click on the icon, and run as administrator the first time. That should do it. If you continue to have problems, there may be a mangled installer on the server. Best to call OD support for that.

Update: I just had the same symptoms when updating to 7.2.26b. For that version at least, the procedure would be to look in \\ServerName\C\OpenDentImages\SetupFiles, then find the installer that matches your server version, the right click and run the installer as administrator.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Install issue on Windows 7

Post by jordansparks » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:49 pm

You shouldn't be running OpenDentalInstaller.exe on the workstations, just Setup.exe. Otherwise, you are going to end up with an OpenDentImages (AtoZ folder) and MySQL on each workstation. Not what you want.

But I think the main problem is that you didn't right click, run as admin. Yes, even if you are already logged into Windows as admin.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com