Tablet Use

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Tablet Use

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 am

As threatened, I just installed a tablet for use in the office with Open Dental. Love it. here's the skinny:

My ops would not really work well with two monitors. I have other issues with placing two monitors also. Privacy (what happens when the hygienist or asst leaves the previous chart on the screen); physical restrictions (they would be in the way, ceiling mounts are not an option); fear of them getting whacked (my hygienists can be heavy handed with the equipment).

So - the solution is a Motion LE1700, which I picked up on ebay for $202.50. This is placed in a docking station and central to the ops. It can be easily picked up by an assistant for charting. I can pick it up to review and treatment plan the patient. Of course, it can be used for signatures and consents, patient education, showing images. very cool. Not as cool as an Ipad, but we'll have to wait for the Open dental Ipad app.

Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

wjstarck

Re: Tablet Use

Post by wjstarck » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:19 am

Rick-

How are you having patients sign forms and consents?

Please elaborate - currently we are scanning laminated forms, but this is beginning to get laborious. :x

Any insight is greatly appreciated,
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:39 am

Bill - I haven't started yet. I was going to get used to having the tablet in the op first. It's only been in a few days, but already I like it.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:09 am

OK, well keep us posted.

That looks really cool. Does the docking station come with it?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:13 am

how are the tablets working out

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:31 pm

enamelrod wrote:how are the tablets working out
Y'know, I don't use it as often as I should. It seems that I get around to using it about once a week. And by that time, Windows has sent and update, or Adobe has sent an update or Apple has sent an update or the G-D thing is scanning for viruses - so it takes what seems like hours for it to be active.

I think I have to just can all of the update features so that it is a static config and always ready. Also have had a few issues with the Screen resolution and Open Dental with it. I have never taken the time to fix that.

So - I think it's time to monkey with the settings once more. But other than the Windows XP annoyances, it is working fine.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

irfan

Post by irfan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:54 pm

I got the Fujitsu Stylistic, and its been ok.. but i cant use it effectively in portrait mode with kind of sucks since the right hand of all the forms and sheets have wasted space meaning the pts have to scroll a lot, which is awkward with a pen.

Im going to resort to having laminated paper copies of all consent forms in a clipboard in all ops, and just bring up the form on the tablet for a quick signature.

It would be great if OD ended up having proper scaling in its windows or became modular

Rick- turn off all auto updating. if all you are doing it using it for OD you dont need to worry much about adobe or windows updates.

Roy Bloom

Post by Roy Bloom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:03 am

company in Austin has a tablet with a magnetic back and docking station, Gorilla glass etc.

http://www.motioncomputing.com/products ... pc_J35.asp

Perfect for what I do. I am completely mobile and go from office to office. Only shortcoming is size of HD. Looks like each year will be arcived to a Sata drive and start fresh with no images (pano's) and patients. I already carry around a Sears rolling toolbox two aluminum suit cases O2 with demand valve and 3 surg setups 2 EKG and and AED........thinking defib would be better......that is a lot of stuff. Now if I can just import that darn prinout to image via hypertermial and bluetoothto images EKG instead of placing it in vital signs in Easy Anesthesia I would be so much more efficient. Maybe a Iphone app EKG....think I saw that for OB/GYN remote viewing a while back.......but it was just lookig at the monitor. OK since I am dreaming a prcordial scope incorporated to the EKG app would be cool . Tried hooking my bluetooth precordial scope to the iphone using IPhone bluetooth but could not get it to work....think it is the bluetooth in the iphone. Also the reason I can not stream music from the bluetooth in the iphone to the bluetooth in my truck. Oh well.
[img]C:\Users\Roy%20Bloom%20DDS\Pictures\Roy.jpg[/img]

Roy Bloom DDS
General Dentist Providing IV Sedation and Oral Surgery for Your Patients at Your Practice.

http://sedationoncall.com
http://drbloom.com

irfan

Post by irfan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 am

Ive looked ay the motion ones, new is too pricey.

TheI hdd is too small you can upgrade as needed on your own. Or carry another with you. Or preload o images the night before unless your see walkins

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 pm

irfan wrote:Ive looked ay the motion ones, new is too pricey.
Ebay of course!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtmz

Post by drtmz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:10 pm

We love the tablet. Got a used Motion Computer Tablet. They seem to be the standard. In fact, they are coming out with a sub $1000.00 in a couple of months.

The only problem is the Treatment Status Box won't show up properly no matter what the resolution. I think this was addressed before and the answer was that it was 'hard coded' into the program and couldn't be easily changed.

drtmz

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:34 am

same problems with my fujitsu.. which i think has the same resolution as yours (1024*768). Its been a good tablet jsut cant use it in portrait (its ideal) mode.

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 am

We have been very happy with our HP tc4400. It is a convertible laptop. If you are careful you can get the computer and docking station for around $250 off e-bay. We also have it hooked up to a second monitor in front of the patient.

I put windows 7 on it which has a very good handwriting recognizer . I also attached the small bluetooth keyboard for those few times where typing is needed. These tablets use a magnetic stylus which is wonderful because the heal of your hand can rest on the screen. which allows drawing and writing as one would on a piece of paper.

I don't know how to upload a picture , it would show the computer mounted at a 30deg angle perfect for viewing and stylus use.
steve