task lists in comm log

For users or potential users.
jrpappy

task lists in comm log

Post by jrpappy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:54 am

Is there any plan to include task list items in the comm log?

The scenario follows: A patient needs to come in for some appt. A staff member calls but is unable to reach patient, leaves a message, makes a comm log note. We know patient needs to come in soon, but if patient doesn't receive message, or gets it and then spaces it, there is no way to follow up with patient unless task list item is made for, say, another call in 1 week, just in case patient doesn't call back.

If the patient does call back, and the person receiving the call isn't the same one that made the initial call, the person answering has to search through task list items looking to see IF someone made an task list item to call back patient if no contact made. This could get confusing when multiple people are answering phones.

It would be more convenient if Task List items showed up in comm log. This way, anyone receiving call could see that a task list item was made and could mark it as complete or delete it if no longer needed, all from one screen.

Is there already something in place in OD for this function?

jrpappy

Re: task lists in comm log

Post by jrpappy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:46 am

My description seems a bit unclear, which is my communication style.

To be more clear, I'd like to know if there is a way to use Task List as a 1-31 file which is accessible in the Commlog of a given patient. The intention is that the Commlog has more information that can be accessed, during a phone communication for instance, all in one screen.

Thanks

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:44 am

I agree that this is very desirable. Task list items do show up in the progress notes from a modification I made long ago in the program. (But I am not 100% this is visible for anyone but me... or for you if you change the entry from "0 to "1" on the database preference "FuchsOptionsOn"....this was done before plugins where available.) I also have the progress notes showing in the account rather than only the commlog items for this very reason of complete record of the patient no matter which window you are in.

If you are interested in this feature, Jordan could probably include an option in the modules setup to included these feature until I have a chance to convert them to plugin format.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Oh yes. Tasks do show in progress notes. We use this all the time.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 am

So Jordan, is there any chance of getting a copy of the task items to show up in the commlog?

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 am

comm log shows in the progress notes, you just need to see the progress notes as I indicated above in the account rather than only the comm log and that will include the tasks. (this is where you want to see it right, the account?)
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:14 am

I strongly disagree with the suggestion to turn on the "FuchsOptionsOn". If you want to see the tasks for the patient, you go to the Chart module.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:21 am

Jordan, i thought if people want the option, you could make a new preference to see the prog notes in the account instead of only commlog...this would be instead of using my old preference option and enabling other things people wouldn't want...easy way to solve this problem and solve jrpappy's problem. Just a thought.
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:58 am

As you know, I have always felt that feature was awkward. His problem is already solved by going to the Chart module.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

atd

Post by atd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:25 am

Sorry, but I have to agree that the tasks should also show in the account module commlog area. With a centralized billing department we have a lot of tasks going back and forth regarding payment collection, insurance setup issues, etc. When reviewing the account before sending out a statement a lot of time is wasted - they'll see something in the account that needs following up on, will go to create a task and there will already be one in the chart from before. Because of this I recommend that they also make a note in the family financial notes that they are waiting on a task. But even then, when they see that note, they have to go to the chart to see if the task is completed or not - if it was all there in the account it would save a lot of time. I'm sure it doesn't seem like it takes that long to go back and forth between the account and chart modules - but when you have 200 statements you're checking, it adds up. Maybe there could be task "types" like there are commlog types - if it's account related it would show in the account module, all the rest in the chart?

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:17 am

Exactly...I agree that the tasks and everything needs to be visible from the account, that is exactly why I have the full progress notes in the account.
I don't see how your staff can get a complete pictures of the patient without seeing everything, and the front staff usually works from the account 1st..

This has been something Jordan and I have disagreed about for years. It will take more opinions for the issue to make an impact (just giving you a hard time Jordan :p Thanks for all you do with Open Dental!)
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 am

Adding tasks to the Account module is reasonable. But adding the entire procedure log to the Account module is not elegant. All procedures duplicated again? Procedure notes? Rx and consent forms? Nobody wants to see that clutter. The Account module serves a different function than the Chart module.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

atd

Post by atd » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:10 am

Agreed - I wouldn't want everything from the chart in the account, just tasks.
Although it would be nice if the surface #'s showed in the account. That's another thing we frequently have to go back to the chart to find when we're trying to figure out why a filling was denied.

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:27 am

one of the main things useful about the progress notes in the account is having the appointments showing there. When the front desk is checking people out they don't have to go any further than the account screen to see that an appointment has already been scheduled or still needs to be. This is the other item besides tasks that is very useful everyday for everyone. Rx's are also very useful to see there as the front desk can make sure the pt was given and RX for emerg procedures, major work that we normally do and if not, ask the back if we meant to or not) Do you need all the notes for procedures? not usually, but we still like that for reason # 2 below. I still think lots of people would love to see the appointments listed there. I just think the account should show everything necessary to check a person out.

1) did they pay their bill? (yes...main feature of the account)
2) Is there anything we need to discuss with the pt that the back office wrote in the notes (have to go to the chart to see progress notes for procedures, planned appointments and tasks)
3) do they have a next appointment (not currently shown, have to go to the chart or account module and then click make find appointments)
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:12 am

We have always struggled to find screen space for patient appointments. I have always wanted another module just for that. Recall for the patient would go there too. Some people are using bigger computer screens, but some are actually moving to smaller computer screens. So another tab/module would work for everyone. But It might also make sense to have configurable panes or docking. One reason we haven't done much docking is that it frequently results in lower quality as clean interfaces are replaced by clutter. Other dental software that has attempted docking (ES most recently) has encountered much anger from users. I think many other elegant and subtle changes would be better than docking. For example:
-More grids added to display fields so that users can customize columns.
-Vertical divider in Chart module movable.
-Pt info grid in Chart module have option to only show when hover, leaving more space for other things.
-As discussed above, addition of pt appt module.
-TP module enhanced to organize multiple TPs and planned appts.
-Show tasks and appts(maybe) in commlog as needed. Customize columns.
-Show surfaces in Account grid. Customize columns.
-Horizontal scroll in Appt module.
-Another overhaul of Appt edit window (this might still be done for 7.2)
and so on. Many subtle elegant changes.
Jordan Sparks, DMD