7.2 features

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

7.2 features

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 pm

-----------------------
W on Graphical Tooth Chart: A paint type for watch.

Guardians: For Pedo offices, guardians can be assigned to children. Examples are Mother, Father, Stepmother, Stepfather, Grandmother, Grandfather, Sitter. The names of the guardians can show in the Family module and Appointment module.

Appointment Fields: Any number of user-defined fields can be set up for appointments.

Appointment Views: Elements can show at UR or LR corners of appointments. They can stack vertically or horizontally. Appointments Fields can be shown. A number of additional elements to pick from.
-----------------------

Hmmmm ... tell us more...I'm particularly interested in Appointment View elements...
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtech

Re: 7.2 features

Post by drtech » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:48 pm

where is this list from? I do not see it on the 7.2 page... (Are these your requests?)
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

drtmz

Post by drtmz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:58 am

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:03 pm

You can now get rid of that little white box at the upper right of each appt and replace it with whatever other little white box(es) is important to you. We always planned on doing this, but I thought we would jump straight to little icons. Turns out to be easier, of course, to use text instead of images. So that's what we did. But images will be a future option.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:54 pm

I just started playing with this option AND the five minute increments. This will be a nice addition to the program. But I'm trying to find the usual box with "called, left message, uncalled"

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Just added an appointment definition field - interesting - a little convoluted to do without a good reason. As you develop this idea more, it is going to be more and more useful. I really like the idea of flags and color to give a visual cue to the staff.

Anybody have any ideas on how they'll use it?

I can think of redflags for: frequently breaks;high account balance

green flags for: alternating perio

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:59 pm

DRTMZ: ...i looked at that page right when you posted this and it did not have that on there! Maybe my browser had an old cached version of the page...it hadn't changed in weeks...only had the canadian e-claims incomplete. What happened to that? couldn't get it worked out?

ahhh...i see
http://www.opendental.com/manual/version7_3.html
David Fuchs

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:35 pm

use it for preauthorizations and pre approvals for care credit

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:16 am

I am new to OD. Been a D------x user for 11 years, and established work-arounds to fit our needs, as we never received 1 feature request of the many that would have helped out tremendously. First found out about OD a year ago- loved the concept and Jordan's vision, just needed different features. Over the past 3 months, have studied OD and read many forum posts- learned a ton from all of you. Have not converted yet, as we needed new features to streamline our systems and cut our workload.
I have and will continue to pay for many of the new features in 7.2 so we will now convert very soon. We are a pedo practice, and all of us carry a "quarterback sheet" that has essential info for every pt in the schedule for the day. Currently, we print our schedule to a jpeg and paste it into a word doc that has text boxes littered all over. Next to each patient we manually enter the parents' names; inside each pt's appt box (for a continuing care appt) we place a red W,Hx or Tx in the UR corner to designate that we are watching incipient lesions, have a history of decay, or have treatment outstanding from the last visit. If any of those are present, we obtain a full current nutrition history (in addition to OH) and enter the recommendations on the bottom of their exam sheet (a word doc with check boxes, drop-downs and form fields). Also, the W,Hx,Tx affect whether we are taking updated x-rays or not.

Also in the UR area is the pt's behavior and behavior management (in blue) from the last two visits (Frankl rating). We add red text boxes for x-rays with date of last ones and a W,Hx,Tx in () if we are taking them. Blue text boxes are dragged for Dx Photos, Prophy Jet, 1. 2tsp 2. O2 (for Operative appts), etc. Also for many pts and families, we ask them to arrive earlier than what the schedule shows- this is for special needs, multiple siblings coming at the same time, or people who are chronically 15 min late- for this we enter the time they were asked to arrive in green. This keeps us running on time or ahead of schedule.

Also we have an Appt Call List in Excel with different categories- kind of a pain, bu the best we could come up with. We love the ASAP feature in OD. We want to show a green A in the appt block if the pt is on the list. Also a red cross for medical alert or premed required. WIll try to place a blue O for ortho if the pt needs a prophy jet.
So once configured and reconfigured, everything will be auto-populated, saving us a couple hours a day on one schedule. I know it is extremely anal. I like knowing exactly what each patient needs and as much about each patient before they arrive.

There are more features to come for which we will be paying a large sum. These features are very important to us, and may even benefit many users. As an example, we pad $400 to add the red W on the graphical chart, which is new in 7.2. I was aware that it was an approved feature request already. To add the symbols for the UR and UL corners, it was considerably more. If anyone is willing to share in the contributions, please let me know. I certainly would not expect it- I'm just happy that Jordan's team will be shaving hours from our daily tasks.
Next up is a new exam module or anything different from how we complete exams now. Thought Sheets would be the answer, but can't do drop-downs. Right now we make the exam sheets the day (or days) before the appointments. Mail merge pt info to a text box, then paste it on the exam sheet(we have 1 for NPE, 1 for POE, 1 for Emerg). Then we open the pt's last exam in Cliniview and highlight in yellow on the new sheet, anything not wnl from the last exam. We lock it back up and save it in the folder with the appt date under our documents on the server. When the pt arrives, we manually enter info from the health hx completed by the parents. We chart chairside on tablet pc's with stylus. Very fast and efficient. But then we have a box at the bottom with adjunctive recs- 1. Elimate ~ (several drop-down fields for juic,soda, gummy vits, et- so it's listed); 2. Smart Rinse or ACT (w/ instructions) 3. Renew Paste/MI Paste(with Instructions); 4. Trident Xtra Care (w/ instruction). Then we print that box to the bottom of a blamk sheet, put back into printer and then print the chart with tx plan (there may not be a tx plan) on that sheet. The pt and parent leaves with these instructions for home care. At the end of the exam, we copy and paste my sig on to the sheet, print it to a jpeg and import it into Cliniview.

So now we are looking for a way to streamline this rediculous workaround. Rick, it appears your exam charting is done on a word doc as well. I am hoping for super slick efficiency.

Again, Many Thanks to Jordan and all on this forum,
Joe

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:35 am

Joe -

Thanks for the thorough and informative post! And yes - you are anal <VBG>, but that makes you a great dentist (just the other end of the tube, y'know). I have found that since I am now able to properly file all of the info on a patient has made me anal, too. When I need the info or the history, it's right where I'm looking - not buried hip deep in an illegible chart. What a joy.

Welcome to the community and thank you for your contribution. Open Dental just keeps getting better and better.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am

Joe - i think I'll just add: how much I enjoy this type of brain-storming. It sounds like your office has a lot of personnel coming and going. All of the flags and charts keep everyone on the same page. This has also been the case in my office. Even though it's small, I have two people splitting front desk duties (My long-standing front desk is semi-retired) and quite a few part-time hygienists(five) (not worth the time and typing to explain). Open dental keeps everyone to a common script and format, standardizes the office protocol and doesn't lose any info.

best

Rick

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:55 am

Rick,
Thanks so much. Agree wholeheartedly. I am very jacked about brainstorming as well. I have created and/or reconfigured all of the systems, hard and software in the office to attempt to create super efficiency, but I still feel we have a long way to go. I've been looking for new pm software for 5 years, since the promise of an sql base was/is/never gonna happen.
Staffing for our office has been very difficult, as it is a challenge to find people who are very tech savvy, very particular with details, mature and stable. The mature, seasoned adults are freaked with all the paperless tech and tablets, and we don't have 2 years to train them. The younger staff these days can be super savvy and lightening fast, but may be lacking in stability and commitment. Not to mention they must be wonderful with children.
To be fair, in order to be micro-organized and able to deliver the standard of care that I insist, we must take many extra steps. This can be stressful with so many responsibilities. As it is, I arrive to the office around 5am, review every pt for the day, and tighten up our Q sheet that we print and review at the 6:30a morning huddle, and evweryone carries in pocket. Now with OD, to be more streamlined with the least amount of steps and workarounds will be way more comfortable for training and simplifying tasks. I see our team much happier with less stress.
We really need to tackle the exams, though. This has been quite a burden. I am excited about the pt reg forms- Jordan just posted that they are working hard on an html format- this would be a huge step in the direction we're headed.
From what I've seen, you and many other users have created a synergy with Jordan, James, Nathan and their team to elevate OD to an exceptional level. Hope I am able to lend positive contributions as well.
Regards,
Joe

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:37 am

Joe and all :

One direction (for my office) I am about to embark on is the use of a tablet. As you know, a lot of the PM gurus recommend two screens per op:

I for one, don't have the room for this - There are light poles in the way, x-ray heads, etc. Directly over the patient are two bays of fluorescent, so there is no chance of a track light. And as you mentioned, the tech savviness of my staff varies. The last thing I want to have to deal with is the privacy issue that will arise when a staffer forgets that the last patient's record is still up on screen #2 - yikes!

So - enter the tablet. I had purchased an IBM Thinkpad X41 about two years ago for this purpose, but it's bulky. Don't get me wrong, it's a great computer, but not a real convenient tablet. Once I saw the Ipad, my juices got going again. I have just purchased a Motion LE1700 ($202.50 on ebay!). This one fits the bill. (I'll add that Motion makes a bunch of damn fine computers including the ruggedized, disinfectible C5 model which I have seen on Ebay for about $500)

By using the built-in wifi, I can show patients xrays and photos. I can manipulate them (the photos - maybe the patients too) and point to them while the patient is holding the tablet. I can of course use it for forms. I will be using it for demo/education videos. All I'll need for now is one roaming tablet. Saves money, infrastructure, energy, my hair being pulled out when I hear, "Can you help me? My computer isn't working."

I'll let you all know how this works. I think the key to success is cheap, durable, slightly used tablets.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Joe, I hope you're not getting your hopes too high with the new features. About the only thing that's nicely automated is the guardians. The appointment fields give you places to put all those flags that you enjoy so much, but they still require data entry. So, much of what we have done is to allow you to replace your old schedule creation with a more formalized strategy. One big advantage of the new way is that if you make a change to the schedule, you have the immediately revised view without having to do any extra work. So that's going to be a big time saver. But I still think you're going to have to get there at 5 am to get the level of quality that you are looking for.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Hey, the custom Fields on appts are great, but can we have the option to make the field "sticky" for all appointments or not? (i mean in the setup definitions)
David Fuchs

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:09 pm

Jordan,
For ease of conversion on your support staff, you might want to consider instead of having blank slate when you convert to automatically restoring functionality back to similar to like it was before the conversion. (ie, already have the assistant block in the lower right and the appointment confirm, ins status in the upper right) so you don't have a flood of calls when people convert on how to get that back.
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't understand sticky. And yes, I have just been thinking about the conversion issue today. Thanks for the reminder.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:38 pm

"sticky" as in, they stay with the patient for all appointments and not just the one appointment

eg Custom Field "Special Confirmation" = "Call Pt 1 hour prior to every appointment" and that would always show on their appointments
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Oh, you mean PatientField. Yes, that's planned very soon. It's already in the database. I just didn't realize how handy it would be until I saw the new system in action.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:12 am

well, i meant have that as an option for the new Appointment Fields: some just for individual appointments (like currently designed), and some "static" to show on all of their appointments. But it doesn't really matter what table you use if you add the ability to use PatientFields to show on the appointments too.That is what I want.
David Fuchs

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:46 am

also, now the appointment note box is much smaller and we use this extensively and will hamper visibility of the note. I know we are always fighting for more screen real estate, can we make the appointment window bigger and/or rework something get more size on the note box again?
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Should be very easy for us to make it bigger vertically. I just couldn't imagine anyone needing more space than that. Maybe if you gave me an example of what one of your notes looks like, it would help us to plan better.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:50 am

Hi Jordan,
I guess I should've posted a reply rather than emailed you on Friday. Gald to see you have a fix for:
1. Parents names showing as Preferred in Appt View
2. Boxes in UR & UL larger & no overlapping. (Is it possible to have UR 2nd row always 2nd row, even the field for the designated UR first row is blank? For instance, always have Behavior in UR 2nd row even if UR 1st Row (Time Asked to Arrive) is blank).
3. Pt Field Defs from Family module showing in Appt Views. (Could you be able to customize which Pt Info fields are displayed in the Chart? We do not use ABCD0 or Billing Type as some offices may, and we would like to show Behavior and Ortho Appliances fields instead).
Many Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:39 am

#3 is still classified as a feature request, not a bug fix.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 am

yes #3 I would love to see!

After working with it today, the note box is workable...esp since it is bigger on "patient note" "appointments". If we can get a little more height that would be great.

After using it today...Not to excited about the quick adds being moved off screen. Getting lots of staff complaints. Takes another click for a much used item (we are always using it to add a PA, prophy, to today's appt. etc....) I think it would be better to have some of the other info on another panel that you don't really need to see all the time back like you use to have it on a scroll bar or how about a mouse over hover panel or something for when the pt arrived, seated info, etc?
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 am

I have to agree about the quick add. But the scrolling of info at the upper left was just feeling too clumsy. I think what we'll end up doing eventually is making the 3 big grids smaller. For example, a better filter would only show commlog items related to this one appt. There might only be one or two, so a smaller grid would work out great. We can make the patient info area smaller if we let users pick which order they want their fields in so that they don't have to scroll to see their favorite fields. Hover might be a way to get rid of the patient info grid completely, since you're not allowed to double click on it anyway. So we still have lots of options.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 pm

How would we customize the items in the Quick Add?

sandi

Post by sandi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:09 pm

setup-- definitions---appt features quick add

sandi

Post by sandi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:09 pm

setup-- definitions---appt features quick add

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:55 am

Thank You! Don't know how I missed that.

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:07 am

glad I wasn't the only one not liking the quick add! Yes, I agree, the scroll bars are less than desirable...
David Fuchs

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:48 am

Jordan, in Patient Field Defs, could you add the ability to move the list items up or down to organize the order, as you have in the Setup of others like Procedure Buttons?

sandi

Post by sandi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 am

Just playing with 7.2.9.0 on my testbed, i assume this is the head version and cant be used clinically.
Anyway a few thoughts-
5 minute appointments are Great but not so great is that f2,f3, etc cant zoom into 5 minutes from an overview ie its 5minutes or nothing, this means one cant see the day if they want to. Also same problem with weekly view which i think should show the day for sure otherwise cant get an overview of whats booked and not at a glance.
When one switches back to 10 minute view one cant see the bubble pop up.
Also the new appointment fields are great but these don't show if a patient is booked for 5 minutes perhaps they should show a mark or something so one can expand it to see.
I like the watch but would have preferred a w on the surface in question but this is a small point one could prefer either way arguably. This way its easier to see.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:17 pm

No, the head is 7.3.0.0. It's the third number being 0 that identifies the head version.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

sandi

Post by sandi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Great thanks, i wasn't sure if it was or wasn't. Very exciting to see the improvements I have to say, 5 minute blocks are very useful for a number of reasons ie booking patients in for 15 minutes etc and the watch icon is great too.

sandi

Post by sandi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:09 am

Oh and it would be great to see the patient balance in the appointment bubble pop up or in a field on the appointment book, I think this is very useful.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 am

Go ahead and vote for the appt hover bubble customization feature.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 am

being able to use the patient fields on the appointment are great, but we need to be able to edit them from the appointment just like the appt fields.
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:26 am

Yes, but we need to rearrange the appt edit window a bit as well. No space right now.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:55 am

has there ever been a version in beta this long? its on revision 40? is it ready for fun play yet?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:54 am

We are trying to have zero tolerance for bugs. Once it goes out of beta, a user should not have to ever upgrade to fix a bug. I'm very happy leaving it in beta. Of course it's ready for fun play if you want. The appt window has already been reworked to get the quick add list back again. We're still under two months in beta. Two months is about the average.
Jordan Sparks, DMD