Charting implants

For users or potential users.
Cheryl Stern

Charting implants

Post by Cheryl Stern » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:51 pm

How do I make a graphic show for an implant only. Every code I have set up for paint type implant shows a crown on top of the implant. I want to show only the implant, it is used for a locator attachment.

jclaydds

Re: Charting implants

Post by jclaydds » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:51 pm

If I understand your question correctly, you want a root form implant to show up on the 3d tooth chart. Of course you need to mark the natural tooth as missing.

I use code D6010 which is "surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant" You need to make sure the paint type is "implant" and the treatment area is "tooth".

Since my implants are placed by my local oral surgeon, I usually will post the procedure using the Entry Status of " ExisitOther" .

When I do the above, I only get the graphic of the implant fixture -- my graphic does not have a crown on top of the implant fixture unless I post a crown on it as well.

I just had another thought--A crown could be showing from something you have posted previously on that tooth. If that is the case, there is a handy feature in Open Dental that allows you to click on the historical transaction (In this case, the old crown) and right under the fee, there is a box you can check that says "Hide Graphic". This will keep the old crown from now showing on your implant.

Hope this helps.

Cheryl Stern

Post by Cheryl Stern » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Thank you so much. The patient had a crown on the tooth that was extracted. Once I removed the crown the graphic was just the implant. I do not see where the box is to hide the graphic, when you say go to the historical transaction I double clicked on the crown procedure, and under the fee are boxes for provider, diagnosis and priority. Is there somewhere that I am not looking? I checked old posts and I think hide graphics is not available currently.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Your version is slightly too old to show that checkbox. Just upgrade to 7.1.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Cheryl Stern

Post by Cheryl Stern » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:19 am

Thanks Jordan, I love open dental. Now I have another question. How do I show a remaining root that I use for an anchor for an attachment. The root is remaining but the tooth has been added to the partial denture. Will I be able to add a tooth to a partial on the graphic if it has not been extracted? The only way I can see to remove the crown is to draw over it in gray. Thanks again.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 am

There's no graphic yet for a retained root. But you can still include that tooth number in the RPD.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:36 am

Drawing over the crown to leave a root is what I do too, I pick the same color as the toothchart background and then it just disappears. When you put the denture in the crown will not show until the drawing is erased.

Couple of thoughts:

It would be nice if the background color was one of the automatic choices so that you would not have to use the other button to find it.
It would be nice if there was a button in the missing tooth tab that said set root tip, like the buttons to set a tooth to primary.

AND yes I know these should be request features but I have lost faith in that system. My 100 points have been used for a critical update that was requested in May 2009.

Please vote for Request 210 and stop OD from being able to change the amount of time (without warning) in an already scheduled appointment!!!!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 am

I'll defend the request system in spite of the bashing it gets. It's far better than no system. We are hiring more programmers, something that just wasn't possible last year. We have completed well over 100 feature requests since the system was implemented.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 am

I agree it is better than no system. I will also add that Open Dental is better than any other software.
I just can't add anymore requests until my most important one is completed.
But I have alot of good ideas. :-)

peterskuben

Post by peterskuben » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:05 pm

I was wondering if we are going to be moving towards charting the way that XCPT software does it. It incorporates a real pano shot and photos as the charting fields. Seems like the future to me.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:58 am

Yes, of course we plan to incorporate such features. Remember that Open Dental is not yet a full-blown imaging software. That would come first. And I don't see a pano making its way into our main 3D tooth chart anytime soon. The pano with overlaid elements seems like a separate feature from the 3D tooth chart to me.
Jordan Sparks, DMD