Use security in opendental or not?

For users or potential users.
khdilger

Use security in opendental or not?

Post by khdilger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:23 pm

So who uses different users in open dental with security and who just has it wide open? I have a very small office. One front desk, one assistant, and three hygienists (one hygiene at a time though). Should I go through setting up usernames for each user with their own passwords? In my office I require everyone to be cross trained in all aspects of the PMS (charting, billing etc...) so I would want each user to basically have admin rights (unless that is a huge mistake).

Do any offices not setup security and just have people put their initials before notes etc...

JimZ

Re: Use security in opendental or not?

Post by JimZ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:58 pm

We also have a small office, but everyone has their own username and password. Only Drs (the owners) have admin rights. In my opinion it's a disaster waiting to happen to allow everyone admin rights. OD allows customization of security rights that permit the office to function without giving up control of the practice.

Jim

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:00 am

I have an even smaller office. Just me, my wife, and two employees. I have admin rights for my wife and I, and employee rights for the others.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 am

My office has two front desk (split duties) and several p/t hygienists. I have isolated the front desk security and the chart security. The biggest issue has not been alteration with malicious intent, but well-meaning boneheaded alterations such as: "Oh, I didn't mean to delete that, I'll just add it here" or "Oops, I shouldn't have set that complete, I'll just delete it"

So the security also serves the added purpose of limiting damage. Consider also, that as the doctor, you are also apt to perform some boneheaded maneuvers and the best practice is to use a limited account for yourself (of course I don't because I never make misteaks). And of course, none of this applies to Jorge's wife because we KNOW that she is the BOSS!
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 am

Well, the way we have it worked out is my wife makes all the day to day decisions, and I get to decide on the important stuff like the war in Afghanistan, the trade deficit, and global warming.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:57 am

this topic has come up before and one additional part that is missing in the security is that I personally feel that there should be a way to auto log off or only allow a user to log on to one computer at a time if they have certain rights. Now everyone in this blog has said they have a small office. and I have a small staff but lts of computers.

We have three different computers that staff users log into remotely to check the schedule.
I logged into the computers and "forgot" to log myself off of OD on this computer. All the changes made show up in the audit log look like I did the changes.

so the whole admin rights is great but there needs to be a way to log admins off or only allow them to log onto one computer at a time!

my other thought is you should be able to set up certain computers to automatically log in under certain credentials. So at the start of the day when the computer starts up it will automatically open OD under these creditionals. This is usefull for "public" computers. Such as your pano or scan X computer which is shared by everyone in the office.

I have had upwards of 23 computers at a time its a problem.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:07 am

You may want to put in a vote....it's feature request #51.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA