few question on ending a day, locking notes, etc

For users or potential users.
babysilvertooth

few question on ending a day, locking notes, etc

Post by babysilvertooth » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:49 pm

I am ES right now, so maybe some ex ES users can chime in/ I am trying to figure out the OD equivilents: in ES we 'end the day' and it runs the account totals for the day, ages accounts if need be, etc. THen we run reports like 'day sheet' showing production and collections for the day, 'provider production' then other things like the breakdown on what is collected etc. We can choose which reports to run etc.
Do i have to do this from the Reports section in OD individually? can i set up a group of reports to run at the end of each day? How do I 'end the day'?

2) FOr the charting section, when we end the day are the notes 'locked' so they can't go back in one day later? Can the notes be changed/edited until the end of the day and does is show as original or as 'edited'? Sometimes my assistant will do the note, then I will go in and add anything else that I think is important, then sign the chart. is the only way to see if notes are not done is by the incomplete notes report? If I don't have the signature pad, what is the way to 'digitally sign the chart? I see that when a procudure is set to complete, the auto notes sends the information to the procedure chart, then you have to click the procedure to add more information etc; so that means if my FD sets the apointment as complete, the notes are sent to the chart but under who's 'digital name'? does the provider for that op/procedure go back to the notes to 'sign' it?

Hang with me here as I am trying to understand this as an ES user trying to see the comparisons so I can understand the workflow in OD....

drtech

Re: few question on ending a day, locking notes, etc

Post by drtech » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:31 pm

all those reports are available to run as you want them in the report section, but you are not "required" to do an "end of day" like dentrix and eagle soft. I find it much easier to use and manange when you are not locked into those cookie cutter routines. When you run your deposits, you just run it for everything since the last deposit and not required to do it everyday if you staff is busy filling the schedule for instance. Just run the deposit the next day, there is no need to run an "end of day."

Freedom is the key here: the notes are never "locked" unless you want them to be, but even unlocked they are completely secure. Any changes are recorded forever under the audit trail. That way there is no restrictions on editing a day or two later and they are completely secure for legal reasons as you can see all changes made and when they were made. You can lock all editing after 1 day for example (or any number of days later) if you would rather do it that way.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks David, another question on this subject...for progress notes, i understand you have to check the 'show audit' box if you want to show the edits that are made to the notes. If you were to print the progress ntoes, let's say because a patient is transferring offices, do the edited versions of the notes show up?

also, if my assistant types the basics of the notes, and at the end of the day I go in and add my notes for that procedure, is that considered an edit or part of the 'original 'note? I am not changing anything, just adding.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 am

You can print it either way, your choice. I would suggest not printing in the audit mode unless it was for legal reasons.

Yes, that's considered an edit.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com