Almost Had a Serious Medical Emergency!

For users or potential users.
afeuer

Almost Had a Serious Medical Emergency!

Post by afeuer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 am

We had a patient come in who has a serious latex allergy. I know there are many areas and checks in OD where we should be entering this information. We have been trying to use the pop ups for this very situation, but we didn't have one set up on this patient. Some of our staff uses the routing slips to check for these things and we had entered the latex allergy under the diseases section of the medical part of the chart. Turns out only the medical Urgent section shows up on the routing slips. So, I wanted to just give other people a heads up to make sure you check this out in your office and remember to use Popups! Also, is there a way to have the other medical fields show up on a custom routing slip.

Rickliftig

Re: Almost Had a Serious Medical Emergency!

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 am

On our setup, we enter in conditions like this into the "Medical Urgent" Box on the chart. The color is set to red in (I believe) Setup->Definitions->Misc Colors->Chart Module medical.

It shows brightly on the daily schedule and in the chart.

best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:51 am

So do you use the diseases section for anything? Do you always type the full list of diseases under the medical urgent section? If that is the section that you always put those things it would seem that a check list would be appropriate there like the medication list and the diseases list. I've spent a long time getting the diseases list put together to streamline this process. And since it can't alphabetize itself it really does take an unreasonable amount of time...

Where do other people document their patients diseases and allergies?

-Adam

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:11 am

afeuer wrote:So do you use the diseases section for anything? Do you always type the full list of diseases under the medical urgent section? If that is the section that you always put those things it would seem that a check list would be appropriate there like the medication list and the diseases list. I've spent a long time getting the diseases list put together to streamline this process. And since it can't alphabetize itself it really does take an unreasonable amount of time...

Where do other people document their patients diseases and allergies?

-Adam
Adam - Here is how I have my diseases organized - by organ system and importance:

There is a scroll down on that list and if I get time later today, I'll copy and post it (doesn't look like it right now)

You can sort your diseases with up/down arrows (under Setup>Diseases). Of course, most diseases are not of great concern, but those that are have ALERT -> in front of them

I leave the urgent section reserved for, well, urgent issues like 'Latex allergy'. and then I type this in caps.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 am

Your list looks a lot better then mine. I would love to get a copy of it if you wouldn't mind. I like that you use both sections depending on the severity.

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 am

This is a great example of how pop-ups would be better if you could pick which module they pop-up on...for example the front desk when using the account module does not need to know that a patient is latex allergic. If they popped-up based on the module they would be more important and useful.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Adam - Here is my full disease list - always subject to change

Last edited by Rickliftig on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks, your list is a lot shorter and only has relevant diseases. It's also a lot more general which forces us to write notes about the issues. I'm going to try to adopt your system. We'll see how it goes over in the office. Thanks again.

I was able to decipher all the fields, but you might want to upload a higher resolution picture if anyone else wants to use your list. It took two of us squinting to figure out a few of the items.

-Adam

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:19 am

afeuer wrote:I was able to decipher all the fields, but you might want to upload a higher resolution picture if anyone else wants to use your list. It took two of us squinting to figure out a few of the items.

-Adam
Actually, you've just been spending too much time in front of the computer :lol:

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:39 am

Just thought I'd show you the alert on the appointment book. They're hard to miss.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net