scam? neuromuscular/LVI

For users or potential users.
alyosha

scam? neuromuscular/LVI

Post by alyosha » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:07 am

Hello, I am managing my wife's practice. Thanks much for the help a couple years ago when I was setting up Open Dental. Now I need help fast! My wife is really "going" for this TENS/LVI/Neuromuscular stuff. I am reading the literature that she's bringing home,...and the term "elaborate hoax" comes to mind. Since I'm a technologist, I don't have other dentists to confer with. I know this is not an OD topic, but hope to get some response quickly before we "invest" even more in this stuff. Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: scam? neuromuscular/LVI

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:32 am

I think it falls into the same category as chiropractors, accupuncture, and homeopathic medicine. All of these treatment modalities have dubious scientific support, yet they are not generally referred to as scams. They are probably helping a lot of people in the sense that they feel like they are at least doing something about the problem when traditional medicine has no answers for them. There's also a patient education component that comes into play. So I wouldn't call it a scam, necessarily. A different question entirely is whether you can make back the money invested. Maybe so, depending on your business skills and how you present it to the patient.

These are just my personal opinions. I apologize if my opinion offends anyone.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 am

I have a TMD guy that I refer to on occasion who uses tens once and awhile in conjunction with bite splints and PT with some success . He also uses it to remove muscle memory when taking construction bites for orthotics.

I use one on my back when it is acting up and it seems to lessen the pain while its on pain is back when it is turned off. Long term effect is 0.00

My personal opinion is that for problems that are self-perpetuating like tigger points and TMD ... if you can interfere with the pain cycle it can have some positive effect.

Effects are subtle and unsubstantial-able.

steve
steve

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:56 am

no apology needed from an office manager husband and a periodontist programmer. The technology does work and is not only used in dentistry but other medical fields. It is well documented. To the technologist Go with your wife to a neuromuscular course.

To jordan just keep doing what you do, your awesome. I was a bit surprise you even commented on something that has nothing to do with OD but there is a patient component.

And if i read the last post correctly a tens alone will not solve anything it is only a tool to help you get back to a wider range of motion. SO whatever dysfunctional movement you are doing to tweak your back, if you keep doing it you will continue to injure it. A k7 a tens bite splint, denture, nti or ortho and all the other things we use in dentistry are just aids to getting a patient back to healthier function not back to a dysfunctional motion.

hope i didn't hurt any ones feelings no harm meant

Now that's all said can you make a bridge and a sheet to the K7 software LOL :)