Aging or Accounts Rec.

For users or potential users.
parksjdp

Aging or Accounts Rec.

Post by parksjdp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:39 am

Is there a way to get a report that can be used to balance Aging to Quickbooks? I am trying to balance a couple of days last week and it will only allow me to do it with todays balances. Based on my calculations my aging is off quite a bit and I don't know what day it got off or how.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101
jparks@paterafamilydentistry.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:50 am

That's a complicated question. You keep track of aging every day? That's very unusual. And why is QB involved? QB usually only stores financial transactions, not aging. So let's start at the beginning and get a better explanation of your situation. Are you really talking about aging? Maybe you mean deposits or something. If you are talking about aging, then how on earth could you possibly store that in QB? Do you mean only aging totals, aka Accounts Receivable? If so, how would you store that in QB?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:05 am

My financial software is in Quickbooks. I post entries daily (production amounts by type and AR in one entry) (payments, adjustments, w/o's, etc and AR in second entry) with the net of the 2 equaling my AR as of that day. QB only has a total AR balance not individual patient data. So in short I am looking for a report that includes all patient balances, not necessarily aging, in total.

Example:

1st Entry
DR. CR.
AR 3,896
Diag. 150
Prev. 162
Rest. 3,584

2nd Entry
DR. CR.
Cash 549
Adj. 19
Disc. 60
AR 628

Everything then balances in total and I can mointor it on a daily basis and reconcile to my bank accounts. It is also manages in QB as it directly integrates with my tax software (Lacerte).
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:14 am

OK, I sort of understand. I don't know how to go back and fix what you have, but lets talk about strategies for the future.
1. Make daily backups. That way, you can view the database at any previous date. You can decide for yourself at what time of day this makes the most sense. Perhaps it should be done at the same time as you run your daily reports.
2. For now, you should print out daily reports with enough detail that you can tell where your numbers came from. Keep the reports, and use them to compare against the same report run a week or two later.
3. OD allows changing old entries. But you can turn up your security settings to not allow changing old entries. On all the monetary types, just change the security to block any changes after one day. Then, your old reports won't change. Of course it will also be more of a hassle, because any changes must be done as adjusting entries rather than editing the original entry.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks,

I have been keeping my reports, just not aging reports. The only aging report I have is when the conversion was first completed. Here is where my problem is.

Aging 9.17.07 $43,055
Aging 9.24.07 $50,559

Difference $7,504

Amounts from P & I for the same period

Production $10,247
Adj. $1,949
Payments $7,712

Net change $586

Thus AR/Aging should be $43,641, which agrees to QB, but my actual aging report in OD is off.

Any ideas?
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:35 am

Which column are you using from the aging report? The total column or the patient column? The patient column takes into account insurance estimates. So you would have to use the total column instead.

Also, are you including all providers? Do you have any hidden providers?

If your security wasn't turned up, then you could have made changes to P&I outside of the period in question. In other words, you don't really know where your original AR came from or if it's been altered since then. To really know where your original AR came from you would have to run a series of baseline reports, and you would NEVER alter the items on the initial report. Now, it's probably impractical to print it all out, so you could just print out summary reports of the initial state. For the detail, use that database backup I was talking about. You can run two databases side by side on the same computer at the same time. Run the same P&I reports on both databases for previous time periods. They should always match. You can then start to track down any differences that pop up later. One thing to keep in mind if you're using the annual P&I report is to not try to span more than one year due to a bug in that report.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:50 am

We have only been live for a week and I have all my print-outs from each day and they agree with the reports that are generated from this database, which leads me to believe that changes were not made to older P&I's.

Our original aging came right after the coversion so that we could compare to Easy Dental on 9.17.07.

I will just have to do some digging to see if I can figure it out.

I may have some questions later.

Thanks,
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:35 am

Are you accidentally excluding some patients on the aging report?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:15 pm

I don't think so and unless they had negative balances, that would only make my problem bigger. I should have $43,641 in AR, however the aging now shows $50,559. The only thing that I can think of is that some adjustments are not hitting the accounts or something like that.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:50 pm

As I mentioned a little further up, you need to establish the baseline reports. Use the annual P&I reports. Do one year at a time. You don't have more than a few years worth of data, do you? For the 2007 report, change the date range to stop a week ago. Add up the reports. They need to equal your initial "aging" balance. If that's not working, then run the same reports using the backup database from a week ago. You have to get P&I reports that match the starting data so that you can tell if something was changed.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:21 am

I have the PRAC, NOTE, and DOC1 as hidden providers, is there a chance this would throw off my totals?
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:54 am

Yes.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:09 am

I think that I may have found most of my problem and would have saved myself a lot of work. I did not have the include negative balances checked. I assume that this will make a big difference and get me the correct number. I apologize for entering into this lengthly discussions over a simple oversight on my part.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:54 am

No problem. Also don't forget to include ALL billing types. Make sure you don't have any hidden billing types. Don't exclude inactive patients either. Same ideas hold true for when you're generating billing. Try very hard not to exclude anyone for any reason, or it might be months before you notice that you forgot to bill someone. Excluding bad addresses is a common problem there.

We are working on moving from an aging "report" to an AR "interface window", where it will be more interactive and easier to spot patients that were excluded.
Jordan Sparks, DMD