**potential newbie**

For users or potential users.
cmruff

**potential newbie**

Post by cmruff » Mon May 24, 2010 1:57 pm

This is the laff of the day - I am still using DOS based Easy Dental!!! I know it's beyond ancient, the computer that runs it belongs in a museum (a 1995 Gateway, all original), but I still have it because I just don't want a giant do-it-all program. I've had Dentrix and Softdent demos and they look swell, but not for my tiny little practice. We use EVA (Dent-x) digital sensors and ProImage software for them. When they were installed, the original plan was to change to a Windows based front office billing/insurance software and network them to the front office. Unfortunately, inertia set in...
Now, of course, EMDEON is ending my life on borrowed time. Haven't checked other clearing houses, but I suspect the same security issues will prevail and I have to change.
So - does Open Dental support all digital xray sensors? And would I have to be a computer geek to run it (when obviously I am not?) Is there somewhere to find computer specifications to run Open Dental? Even I know I'll have to replace the Gateway - and I wonder if any of you have EVER heard of a computer that has lasted 15 years of almost daily use?
Thanks!
Cindy

murmsk

Re: **potential newbie**

Post by murmsk » Mon May 24, 2010 3:50 pm

thats got to be record
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon May 24, 2010 4:23 pm

We can bridge to your ProImage software. The main issue here is how you are numbering your patients in ProImage. Is the patient id the same as the one used in Easy Dental? That issue is complex enough that it's best handled over the phone.
http://www.opendental.com/manual/comput ... ments.html
http://www.opendental.com/manual/Hardwa ... ements.pdf
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

cmruff

Post by cmruff » Mon May 24, 2010 6:08 pm

I have no idea if the numbers are the same. I think they might be, because something happens at the front desk before we can enter the new patient into the operatory computers for their xrays. Will check tomorrow morning and give you a call? I really like the idea of not being forever chained to one of the big supply houses (hence the EVA sensors), whether it's via their software or their sensors or whatever else they might dream up!

cmruff

Post by cmruff » Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 am

I found out that the patient numbers ProImage uses are generated by Easy Dental when we enter a new patient, so yes, the numbers are the same for both programs. Is there a good/bad time of day to call?
Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 am

Outstanding. Then the bridge will work just fine. Any time is fine.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue May 25, 2010 10:34 am

you will love OD...

can't believe you are still using DOS!!! We used DOS based "Total Recall" back in the early 90's...but haven't seen it for years....
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

cmruff

Post by cmruff » Tue May 25, 2010 11:12 am

Yeah, isn't the DOS program really mind-boggling?? Ha, ha, but the good news is, believe it or not, I do use high speed handpieces! I really do wonder if anyone has heard of another existing DOS dental program.

KCalla

Post by KCalla » Tue May 25, 2010 6:45 pm

I don't know of an currently available DOS program, but I started using Softdent DOS in 1989 and updated/upgraded it regularly as long as DOS versions were available. I knew other Softdent users who had problems with the early windows versions, so I thought I'd wait a little. For one reason or another, I never made the switch to windows and I continued to use the last DOS version of Softdent until I switched to Open Dental in 2009. I was not stuck in the past all around, Iused windows based programs for other purposes in life and work. I know it welcomes derision, but the DOS version ran well, did all we needed at the time, and was easy to use, so you'll hear no laughs from me. We were able to maintain our old Novell network with a little help from local, independent IT support. All that being said, after more than a year of looking at options, I chose Open Dental and have been very, very pleased with the choice (and with the change I jumped a decade or more and am now in the the happy present with Open Dental. Do consider this program. I feel fortunate to have come across it.

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Wed May 26, 2010 9:36 pm

I was in elementary school when that computer was new...

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu May 27, 2010 4:48 am

afeuer wrote:I was in elementary school when that computer was new...
Aw heck - I knew G.V. Black and Horace Wells personally... Used to use an Abacus in the office (we had two in each op - one for the assistant an one for the patient)until they ruined it with version 1012.13 :lol:
Last edited by Rickliftig on Thu May 27, 2010 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

cmruff

Post by cmruff » Thu May 27, 2010 6:26 am

I actually bought the computer originally for my daughter who was in elementary school. Now she's at OSU toting around a little netbook with vast capabilities vs the Gateway. But the Gateway trundles on - I might go for a record, kind of like that firehouse lightbulb that's burned for over 100 years!