Dell Vostro desktops adequate?

For users or potential users.
khdilger

Dell Vostro desktops adequate?

Post by khdilger » Wed May 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Is there a need to run one of dells "Server" grade computers? I assumed no, so here are the computers I have configured for my new office. Below I have included Windows 7 professional. I can save $70 per computer if I change that to Premium Home edition. Do I need the professional version? Absolute max number of user computers would be 7 + additional standalone computer for file server/Mysql. Realistically 4 user computers (maybe 5) would be adequate for many years

Am I missing anything with these computers that would keep me from running something other than Opendental, imaging software, and accessory software such as intra oral cameras?

What do you think of the prices? My first thought was a little high but I have not shopped computers in forever.

File Server and Mysql machine

Vostro 230 Mini Tower $702
PROCESSOR................Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core E5400 w/ VT (2.7GHZ, 2MB L2, 800FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM......Genuine Windows ® 7 Professional 32 bit edit
MEMORY....................2GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz - 2DIMMs edit
OPTICAL DRIVE............Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive edit
HARD DRIVE................500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
VIDEO CARD................512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® G310 (DVI + VGA + HDMI) edit
MONITOR...................Dell 19 inch Widescreen E1910 Flat Panel Display edit

User computers (front desk, ops, my office)

Vostro 230 Mini Tower $652
PROCESSOR................Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core E5400 w/ VT (2.7GHZ, 2MB L2, 800FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM......Genuine Windows ® 7 Professional 32 bit edit
MEMORY...................2GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz - 2DIMMs edit
OPTICAL DRIVE...........Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive edit
HARD DRIVE...............160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
VIDEO CARD...............512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® G310 (DVI + VGA + HDMI) edit
MONITOR..................Dell 19 inch Widescreen E1910 Flat Panel Display edit

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Dell Vostro desktops adequate?

Post by jordansparks » Wed May 05, 2010 8:10 pm

How about 2 computers with Windows 7 pro, and the others with Windows premium home? Also do they all really need to be 32 bit? If you don't have special hardware compatibility issues to worry about, consider 64 bit on most of them. Lastly, 2 GB of memory might not be enough. 3 sounds better.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Thu May 06, 2010 4:33 am

Which two would you run with windows 7 pro? I am assuming only one computer to house Mysql and the File Server. Would you put pro on the front desk computer as well?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 06, 2010 6:22 am

Sure, that sounds about right.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

tdong

Post by tdong » Fri May 14, 2010 7:57 am

For the computer which host the sql and file you can use Raid 1 on Sata (two harddrive mirror) I think most dell computer support that. hard drives are too cheap. just in case one fail and the backup is only good for yesterday data. There would be no data lost and everything would keep running normally

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Okay, I am ordering my computers this week.

Can you elaborate one why to chose Windows 7 Professional on some of the computers vs Windows 7 Home Premium? Are there compatibility issues? Its $70 dollars less to just go with Home premium. I will never have more than 5 or 6 computers on the network. I am concerned with setting up a peer to peer network with different versions of windows.

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Also... Does anybody have experience with the Slim line desktops? Are there any differences in hardware compatibility to get a smaller form factor in the ops? I assume get a larger case for the "server" computer.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 pm

The big issue with small form factor (sff) is the onboard video card. If you are using it for open dental only or the occasional photo, no problem, but if you run a graphic intensive program (like digital xray) or a second monitor, a video card will be needed.

The problem is that these video cards are specialized and underpowered for the most part. But I do have sff computers in my ops and have no issues - I do not have digital radiography or second monitors.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:55 pm

That was my concern. It sounds like if I want the flexibility of adding a specialized video card to support future expansion that the Mini tower will be necessary over the slim tower.

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:46 am

There are lots dual-head video card in low profile where the 2nd VGA, DVI, HDMI goes into the 2nd slot.... I have Vostro slim, and like it.
I also just added 4 all-in-one Dells to my office.... to get rid of the tower. The downside is no expansion, but the upside is that there are only 2 wires that I have to manage.... power and Cat5.
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix

atd

Post by atd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:18 am

We have Dell OptiPlex small form factor's in our OPs with NVIDIA graphics cards that have a connection for a second monitor (but don't have a second one currently hooked up). We use them for digital x-rays and have no issues.

Nusmiler

Post by Nusmiler » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:52 pm

I use the Dell Vostros they work great.

Joe Gordon

Post by Joe Gordon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:37 am

Definitely 3-4 gigs of ram to keep things super slick. Alternative systems could be tablet pc's (screen rotates and collapses, so can be used as a laptop or tablet). Very versatile and portable workstations. Charting with a stylus is great, and for reviewing x-rays, dx photos, etc. May be some security issues, but if you have everything locked down as Rick discussed, you should be fine.
[Our former pm software had shown pics in their advertising of staff carrying around tablets in the office. I thought it was a great idea to get these tablet pc's, but we had several issues with Charts notrefreshing and showing the wrong drawings. Their tech support said that they absolutely do not recommend tablet pc's because of security issues. Then last year I had an honest support session with a high level tech (there were only 4 that actually knew what they were doing), and he confessed that this software has issues running on Windows XP Pro Tablet PC edition- that was the reason why they didn't recommend them! Not because of security issues. Same guy who confessed that they probably wouldn't ever be switching to an sql base as they promised every year- "it's coming out in 6 months..."]

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:50 am

DonDDS wrote:I also just added 4 all-in-one Dells to my office.... to get rid of the tower. The downside is no expansion, but the upside is that there are only 2 wires that I have to manage.... power and Cat5.
Don - Can you tell me which model of All-in-one you got?

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 am

Jay,
Mine was Vostro All-In-One.... Core2 Duo, 3GB mem, 320Gb, 19".... for $699.
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix