Topaz Signature Pad Stopped working

For users or potential users.
afeuer

Topaz Signature Pad Stopped working

Post by afeuer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:51 am

We recently updated all of our computers in the office. When the new computers came back online the Topaz Signature pad wasn't working. We are using 7.0.20 and have windows 7 on all of our computers except one which is XP. The signature pad works with the microsoft word plug-in but doesn't work with OD. I installed the trial version of 6.9.22 on the computer with windows xp and I ran the demo database and it still doesn't work. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
-Adam

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Topaz Signature Pad Stopped working

Post by jordansparks » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Which model of pad, exactly? Are the new computers using 64 bit versions of Windows? How about the XP computer? 64 bit Windows also? Is the XP computer also new?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm

I have the T-L462-HSB SignatureGem LCD 1x5. All versions of windows are 32 bit. The XP machine is a laptop that had no changes made during the upgrade. All of the other machines are new with windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. The signature pad is installed and works with the word plug-in on all the computers. We have had the signature pad for a while now and it has worked well with OD before the upgrade and update.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 am

The way I initially read your first post was that you got all new computers. I'm thinking now that what you meant was you upgraded the version of OD. What version were you on before? I'll put it down as a bug and we'll test it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:58 am

Jordan, sorry I wasn't being clear. We got new computers and at the same time I upgraded OD as well. I know this is not ideal for troubleshooting, but I tested everything I could think of on my windows 7 home machine. Anyway, we went from 6.9.XX (sorry don't remember exact version, but it was a release version from the end of march) to 7.0.20.

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

testing now in version 7.0.20.0
nathan

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:45 pm

ns tested R-L460-HSB with version 7.0.20.0 of OD with 32 bit Vista,
Usually when it 'works' with office but not with OD we are simply needing to install (reinstall in this case) the drivers from the disk that came with the topaz pad. I did not have to take any action when I upgraded from 6.9 to 7.0. Get your cd in hand and call and we can troubleshoot. Strange that it hit more than one computer...

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Update... I called OD today and spoke with Luke. He helped me find the drivers from the Topaz website to install the signature pad. We tried to install it on multiple computers but we always got the same error. "Olepro32.dll access denied". When I tried it on my laptop which has windows 7 64bit it worked fine. All of our workstations have windows 7 32 bit. After I got off the phone I called Topaz and spoke with one of their tech support guys. He confirmed that their installers don't work with windows 7 32bit only. He emailed me a file that just contains the drivers for all of their signature pads and is compatible with all versions of windows. If anyone would like the installer file contact topaz or email me. It might be a good idea to host this file on the OD website until Topaz updates their download page.

-Adam
adam@drfeuer.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Geez, Topaz, get your site updated. Thanks for letting us know about that. A warning has been posted on our Topaz page. I think what happened is that everyone considers Windows 7 to be a 64 bit OS. I think it's rare for someone to try to use the 32 bit version.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. The problem is many of the digital sensors and smaller hardware manufacturers are still only releasing 32bit drivers forcing us to stick with windows 7 32bit. Sucks since all of our machines have 4gb of RAM minimum.

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat May 01, 2010 7:01 am

yes, I installed all our Win7's as 32 bit to avoid all hardware driver problems...

too bad when we are limited to 3gb Mem...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com