Secondary Insurance billed first????

For users or potential users.
DavidWolf

Secondary Insurance billed first????

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:20 am

OK her is an interesting situation which occurs once in a while....

We billed for procedures to a patient's insurance, received the payment, deposited the payment.
Then the patient informed us that they had a second insurance, which turned out to be the patient's primary.

We added the insurance correctly making the new insurance the primary. We were able to make the new primary claim and bill the new insurance.

Here is the tricky part, we have to resubmit to the "original primary" as the secondary to have them adjust the EOB. Then we will have to return the part of the payment which the "original insurance" overpaid.
(What a pain in the buns)

When we try try to resubmit to the "original primary" as the secondary insurance we get an error that you can not resubmit to the same insurance twice. When we try to delete the original claim we get an error that you can not delete the claim because the payment is attached to a deposit.

So if anyone knows how to deal with this nightmare in Open Dental I would welcome the advice.

THANKS!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Secondary Insurance billed first????

Post by jordansparks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:49 am

Sure. Don't delete the claim. Don't try to create it again. Just open and print.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am

Ok. That seems easy.
I see that OD allows me to change the other coverage section before I print it again. However, it will not allow me to change the claim type to secondary.

If I just change the other coverage section I think the claim will look the same as if it were originally the secondary.

Is that true? The claim looks the same once you add the other coverage as if the type = secondary even the though the type stays = primary.

Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Yes, that's true. At least I'm 80% sure that's true.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com