Insurance Overpaid Report

For users or potential users.
DavidWolf

Insurance Overpaid Report

Post by DavidWolf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:26 pm

I just found the new report for Insurance Overpayment.
I ran it and luckily only about 20 cases in 3 yrs. My question is....how do we fix them??? Some of them go back to 2007.
In most cases I think that we have transferred to another family member, refunded the amount to the insurance or adjusted off some other way without changing the original claim.
What do you recommend we do to clean up the accounts if anything at all?

THANKS

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Insurance Overpaid Report

Post by jordansparks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:08 pm

I have no idea what to do with them. If you already sent a refund to insurance, then you might not have entered it properly as a negative entry inside the claim. So that's one reason why it would still show on the report. If the insurance company is unaware that they overpaid, then you probably ought to try to refund them. However, if you do that, the patient will suddenly owe more. I don't see any obvious answers, and it will have to handled on an individual basis.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:39 pm

We defintely have not been entering these adjustments correctly. It sound like we should be doing it from inside the claim.
One possibility would be to learn the correct way to enter them and correct each claim and then make a balancing adjustment so the account stays the same.
When we sent the money back to the insurance company we have been using a + adjustment called refund to insurance for overpayment.
Perhaps it will be as simple as entering the refund to insurance into the claim and then deleting the + adjustment.

Ok so the question is:
How do we attach the refunds for overpayments to the claims?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 am

A supplemental payment with a negative value. Then, attach to a dummy check with a negative value. But I don't know if you really want to be altering entries that are so old. You'd have to be really careful.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Erin1958

Post by Erin1958 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 am

argg.. I think the question everyone is asking here is what do do specifially with those accounts that are old and we have been posting adjustments for insurance refunds "instead" of the correct way...you dont suggest going back and fixing old accounts now... how do we get them off the report so when we are posting them correctly the old amounts don't show up on the report???

Erin1958

Post by Erin1958 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 am

how also then are you tracking... writing refund cks to the insurance company... this makes no sense to me

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:46 pm

I had a long list of Overpaid insurance. Jennifer Meyer helped me clear it up.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429