Resubmitting insurance claims

For users or potential users.
helliwell

Resubmitting insurance claims

Post by helliwell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 pm

How does one resubmit a claim if the insurance co denies receiving it? Keep getting the box saying a claim can only be submitted once to a carrier. thanks
A.J. Helliwell, DDS, FAGD
Newport Beach, CA
drh@helliwelldds.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Resubmitting insurance claims

Post by jordansparks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Well, if you didn't delete the old claim, you would just use that old claim again. I suspect that it's complaining about creating a second claim.
To print: Open the old claim and click print.
To send electronically: Open the claim and set the status to Waiting to Send. You might also change the date sent and make a note. Then send from the Send Claims window as usual.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drschulman

Post by drschulman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Sometimes when i have a claim that has multiple codes attached to it (crown, build up, pa, etc..) and the ins. company pays all but one procedure(denies crown for xray or what have you!), i enter the payment on all the procedure codes but the one denied (i keep that zero), then finish entering my payment. Once that is done is you double click on the denied procedure in the account and double click the insurance estimate under insurance estimates and payments it will totally let you resend that procedure code to the same insurance. It will do the same thing in any circumstance...you just have to delete the estimate for that insurance after double clicking on the actual procedure in the account! Hope that wasnt to confusing! It took me a while to figure out how to get it to resubmit!!

savvy

Post by savvy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Related.........

How does one resubmit a claim WITHOUT deleting the notation regarding the first submission?
Example: If one sends a claim today, the date sent is today.
If one needs to resubmit, the date sent changes to that date.
The initial date is lost.
Maybe a line item note can be inserted in the pt account module that a claim was sent on date.
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Right now, you would manually make a note about the original submission date.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

atd

Post by atd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:00 am

Sometimes when i have a claim that has multiple codes attached to it (crown, build up, pa, etc..) and the ins. company pays all but one procedure(denies crown for xray or what have you!), i enter the payment on all the procedure codes but the one denied (i keep that zero), then finish entering my payment. Once that is done is you double click on the denied procedure in the account and double click the insurance estimate under insurance estimates and payments it will totally let you resend that procedure code to the same insurance. It will do the same thing in any circumstance...you just have to delete the estimate for that insurance after double clicking on the actual procedure in the account! Hope that wasnt to confusing! It took me a while to figure out how to get it to resubmit!!

I believe the preferred method when part of the claim is denied is to "Split" the claim. When you double-click the claim to enter the payment, first highlight the line/lines that were NOT paid and click the "Split Claim" button - that will remove them from the current claim and create a new claim just for those lines. Proceed to enter the payment for the lines that were paid. Then all you have to do is change the status of the split claim to "Waiting to send" to resubmit it (after you've fixed the issue of course). No need to delete insurance estimates with this method.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes. thanks for catching that.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drschulman

Post by drschulman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:07 am

That is awesome!!! I will try that next time! I was sure there was a better way to do it but sometimes you just wing it until you learn it!! Thanks for the info!