roybloom

windows 7

Post by roybloom » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:27 am

Which version of windows 7 is everyone using or finding to be best

Thanks

Rickliftig

Re: windows 7

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 am

I believe that just like with XP, for any networking environment (like our office) you need to have the pro version. At home you could use... home!
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 pm

I use Home Premium in my whole office. $50 bucks each for upgrade with the 3 pack family. The only real limitation of home is you can't join a domain, but I have found there is no reason to do that in our office. What do you need to be part of domain for in a dental office? Works fine with networking to my linux server or a windows peer to peer server.......don't know if you have to have domains on windows server 2003 or 2008....prob would still work fine there too.

Unless you have to be a part of a domain, save some $ and get Home premium. Works great in our office. (20 computers)
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Glad to hear that David - In past editions of Windows (and service packs) I had problems connecting with Home edition. Thanks for the correction.

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:21 pm

I like the domain based versions (non-Home) b/c we use Symantec Endpoint Protection as our internal firewall/antivirus software. Once computers are joined to the domain, the Endpoint Protection server can push updates/installs to all my clients (10 +), which saves me the torture of having to jump from workstation to workstation when the software has to be upgraded.

Most Symantec software that comes pre-bundled with PCs has too much of a performance penalty (read: garbage) in an office environment, while SEP is more of an enterprise version. SEP is also not the resource hog it used to be 3-4 years ago, so I never notice it's running in the background these days.

Speaking of pre-bundled software: My kingdom for a PC for small businesses that comes with all the presinstalled garbage software stripped from it!!!
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 am

very nice to be able to push software....i just use a batch file and update files each time the computer restarts...but that is old school I guess :p

oh...and the 3 pack upgrade for $149 is discontinued I just found out. glad I bought it when I did...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com