How should one backup digital images and OD?

For users or potential users.
dand

How should one backup digital images and OD?

Post by dand » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:26 am

I am currently using OD and backup to a flash drive. I just added digital radiography to my setup. I am using a digital pan, scanx, and my interface software is XDR.
My question? My images are being stored in XDR in a data folder so will I need to do a seperate backup for this? I was under the assumption that all the images would be stored in my opendentalimages folder. I would then only need to do the open dental backup.
Is this the wrong assumption??

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:46 am

If you are using XDR, then your images will be stored in the XDR data folder, not in the OD images folder. This holds true for any bridged imaging software. So yes, you will need to do a separate backup. But by separate, I don't necessarily mean a separate job. One script should be able to perform the backup of OD, backup of XDR, and backup of the other folder in your office that stores all of your other important general business files. Your backup software should be automated in this way so that it's a single click to backup.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Nate

Post by Nate » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Is there a software you recommend to do such a back up of multiple folders?

mowgli

Backup software

Post by mowgli » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:51 pm

The backup utility that comes with Open Dental on the Manage module only does Open Dental. Why not run the backup utility that comes with Windows 2000 or XP? Under Programs>Accessories>System Tools. Works quite well to back up whatever you need into a file on a jump drive, and won't cost anything extra.

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:22 pm

karens replicator will do everything you want and it is free. Do a google search and download.

steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 pm

Be careful with the MS backup utility. You don't want unreadable "backup files" as the result of your backup. What you want, instead, is the actual unaltered files and folders. Many backup programs can be setup to do this. I don't think MS backup can. I use Second Copy 2000. As you can tell by the title, it's a bit old. I have heard about Karen's for years, and it should be fine, although I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones. Anyone else?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Okra

Post by Okra » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:27 pm

Windows Home do not have backup. Windows Pro have backup. Windows Server 2003 have backup. Windows 2003 Small Business Server have the best backup, as in all those built-in backups.

The good thing about Windows backup is that it could back up open files any time, like mySQL files. The bad thing about them is that they lump all files into 1 large files, making typical sync software useless.

Karen is like a typical backup software. It does not backup open files, the most critical files. It does not run well with mySQL nor Dentrix. There are workarounds. Becareful.

tdong

Post by tdong » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:25 am

My Backup system

1) Server 2003 backup 1 month (full and incremental) (external drive)
2) Server 2003 full backup every night for a week (override next week)(ex drive)
3) USB key for the Dr to take home using OD build in backup
4) Navicat to backup MySQL hourly
5) Best of DR is Double-Take software this is expensive but worth it
What it does:
-real time replication (mirror) to another server (support database file etc)
-failed over for Server 2003 AD it will failed over the IP, Name etc as if nothing happen.(require min 3 server though, 1 for AD, Main Server, FailedOver Server) allow script to start up database or start any application or shut them down when failed back.
-it can replicate over internet for off-site dr (currently I am not using this)
I ftp file weekly to my web hosting site
-It is using byte level replicate (just like Raid 1)

My Server setup 3 server
AD - 1 Dell 2650 raid 1
Main - 1 Dell 2600 raid 1 SCSI for OS, raid 1 SATA for Data
FailedOver- 1 Dell 2600 raid 1 SCSI for OS, raid 1 SATA for Data (also AD) - WinXP and Red Hat on VMWare Server

Logmein are install on all server and PC to remote helpdesk

The only thing that I regret was because we bought Kodak 8000c xray system. We have unlimited desktop client but only 1 license for the Server they asked me to buy additional license to install for the fail over server even though I am not using it unless it failed over basically I only use 1 license at any given time. I bargain it with the sale prep and I got one for free