Recomendation/Opinions.

For users or potential users.
faverymi

Recomendation/Opinions.

Post by faverymi » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Hi there.

Seriously considering OD.

1. I'm assuming Windows 7 with 32 bit version shouldn't be a problem on work stations.
2. From Dell it seem that I can get the server with windows 2008. Would that be a problem? Do I have to get the 2003 version?

3. Considering e2v sensors with XDR. Anyone using this set-up. Considering scanners, intraoral camera and future digital pano.

Any thought will be highly appreciated. Have a good weekend.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Recomendation/Opinions.

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:45 am

OD works fine on 64 bit now. I just edited 2 pages on our website that had outdated recommendations.

Server 2008 would be great. Is there someplace on our website that is giving the impression that 2003 would be better?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

faverymi

Post by faverymi » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 pm

I got the impression from previous information in this page.

Also some of the OD retailers IT companies quotes that I got for the complete job recommended windows server 2003 and the windows 7 xp downgrade on the stations. Saying that would be more stable. I don't have a clue if they also were thinking image software (considering XDR and Apteryx) I'm just an average user computer but it sounds like you are buying a brand new vehicle with carburetors instead of fuel injection LOL.

Thanks.

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:45 pm

We came to OpenDental from Intellident several years ago and added e2V with XDR last year. XDR works well with OD and both companies have great support. Problems are addressed promptly and OD support staff is great with our staff--no small feat considering most days I feel like I'm working with Amish ladies. They would be happy with a #2 pencil and paper tablet. :lol:

Jim

katraum

Post by katraum » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:11 pm

"working with a bunch of Amish ladies"...that is classic! Perfect way to describe it!!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:49 pm

The recommendations might have to do with the imaging or hardware side of things. As far as OD is concerned, get the fuel injected turbo charged OS. I have not found XP to be particularly stable. Vista seems a little buggy. Loving Windows 7 so far.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:09 pm

...and Windows 2008 Server is a vast improvement over 2003...
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:57 pm

w/ XDR, Win7 gives a vast speed improvement over XP, esp if you have lots of images in one exam (FMX). 7 secs load on an older p4 machine, vs 4 seconds on the same p4 with Win7. With a newer dual core processor, of course the speed is slightly better about 3 secs....That is the one downside of XDR in my opinion, slight delay in load times, but it is that way with almost all the imaging software after a few images are in.

I highly recommend XDR and the new e2V sensors for cost vs quality. Top notch image quality at a very reasonable cost. That is what we decided to go with just this Fall. Loving it. Been using Od for years now...great program. Again, Windows 7 is very stable and do not downgrade to XP. Just make sure you don't use any VIsta computers with either setup in my opinion, will run into trouble, esp with your printing.

I use an Ubuntu Linux server. Been working great for 4 years...no problems. No software cost and more stable than either windows server, but hard to initially set up.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

faverymi

Post by faverymi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks for the info.

We will be installing Windows 7 pro(32 bit) on stations and perhaps Windows 2008 r2 server. When we do it I will let everybody know how the whole thing went in a month or 2. I'm more worried about the performance of the imaging software. OD shouldn't give problems.

Thanks again.