laptop server backup to home desktop and offsote desktop

For users or potential users.
roybloom

laptop server backup to home desktop and offsote desktop

Post by roybloom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 am

As I said to Nathan yesterday, I have over teched myself with logmein, IPhone and opendental laptop workstation and server at business office(I am 100% mobile at 26 offices now). I am overwhelmed. I provide a LOT of IV sedation and will be using version 7 when it comes out. I will be getting a tablet with windows 7 64 bit. Hopefully I will be able to plug in my criticare monitors to auto record ECG, SPO2, NIBP Pulse via the anesthesia module. Now the hard part.....I just can not answer the phone fast enough and can not make appointments on the fly. Thus, I am hiring a stay at home mom who was a dental office manager and used to assist me in surgery. Do I have to set up a VPN so my business office back up is the same as hers at the end of the day? Can I just use the FTP setting on my gig router? Also when I back up the days work and meds to the two computers from the Tablet does it corrupt all the data? I am taking myself out of a lot of loops I am in now and it appears a lot of changes will have to be made.

Also id the anyway I can set up the new patient info as a page on my website with required inputs so I do not have to chase after offices to send me all the information at once? I would like to have the office to fill out that page and then just past to the computer of the person making my appointments. I also need to add a section for the pano and limit to 1 MB........I am so tired of getting 12MB Panos from receptionists.

Thanks in advance........can you tell I will be back on support soon....heh heh

Rickliftig

Re: laptop server backup to home desktop and offsote desktop

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 am

Roy - You're working too hard - I think you need to develop a virtual anesthesiologist program. Interface the laptop to the iv line, the monitors, etc. Send the laptops by FedX with DIY instructions. Monitor all of the cases from a remote mountain clinic. <VBG>. Pray that you don't get a blue screen of death!

Your ambition astounds me.

best,

Rick

PS - It's amazing all of the dental permutations that are using Open Dental as a base - General, ortho, perio, anesthesiology and a high volume denture practice to name a few.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drfredc

Re: laptop server backup to home desktop and offsote desktop

Post by drfredc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm

I'd just have your office manager use another computer on your network so she can access and use your server data with the active copy of your data, where ever that server is. If you are both remote to the server, set up another computer on your network with a logmein account so you both can remotely access your data without creating sharing issues.

As far as backuping up your server data goes, you might check to see what the logmein backup service offers. Or Carbonite. or ???

If you're concerned about middle of the day collapses, Carbonite (and perhaps logmein backup?) can be configured to backup whenever there's a break in the action instead of an end of the day backup.

Or this is what I'd try -- not that it's the right or best solution.