Update on Anesthesia Module

For users or potential users.
wjstarck

Update on Anesthesia Module

Post by wjstarck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:20 pm

It's working with the current OD head, i.e., 7.0.x, which has not been released as a beta yet. Unfortunately, the plugin will not be back-portable to 6.8.x or 6.9.x versions of OD for structural reasons.

Once I have the released 7.0.x beta available for in-house testing, it shouldn't be too long before anyone interested in beta testing it can have a beta version, of course with the usual strict instructions *not* to use it on a live database until it has passed through the beta cycle.

Happy St. Valentine's day,
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

roybloom

Re: Update on Anesthesia Module

Post by roybloom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 am

Yikes, so if I start using it with ver. 6.7 and update down the road as I normally do it would not save the inventory from a year ago?

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:19 am

No, anything you've already saved in your database from using the Anesthesia Module in OD ver 6.7.x will be fine.

It's just that the plug-in cannot be made to work with OD versions 6.8 or 6.9, because the underlying structure of OD was changed so substantially after 6.7, that it's simply too complicated to rework a plug-in for those versions. But it's working great here with 7.0.x (not yet released).
Last edited by wjstarck on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

roybloom

Post by roybloom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 am

So I will just have to re enter current info into ver 7?

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:32 am

You shouldn't have to do anything at all, except set up a program link to the plugin (it's very easy).

The button will be in a slightly different location (since they're handled more like external program links). What's nice is that you can have program link buttons appear in any OD module that you want (eg., Chart, ApptBook, etc.). It was always annoying in version 6.7 that you could only launch the Anesthesia Module from the Chart. So that's a nice improvement for version 7.

I'll release an updated manual on how everything works once we've moved the plug-in into beta testing.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 am

Dr. Starck,
I am currently trying to implement a plugin for some of my modifications to the program, but having trouble modifying existing forms. Do you do any of that in your plugin or is it all "external" new forms? I might light a look at your source code if you would be so kind as to send that to me just to see how you accomplished what you did. Thanks for all your work!
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 am

His is all external, so easier in that sense. There's very little that we might do in the future which could break his code. If you are trying to alter existing forms, the programming technique will be quite different. What about the sample I posted? Is that not helping? Don't forget, you have to tell us every time you want a hook somewhere.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am

Jordan,

yes, the example does help a little, but I just can't quite figure out how to graphically place things easily in the designer, do I have to manually figure out the coordinates by first modifying the existing form and then transferring that whole object (eg panel) over to a new form? ...kind of like the example? It just seems like a lot of figuring, etc...

Also, if you could give another example of a hook and modification of display on an existing form like most of my modifications that would help. The other problem (which is good overall, but not for the example) you actually have the included example of the drop down ins info in the account in the program now, so it is hard to tell what is already there and what is changed. Not a new form, but display changes to existing forms.
Thanks.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Let's take this discussion to the developer's forum.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com