Patient billing

For users or potential users.
fishdrzig

Patient billing

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 am

We have noticed that OD won't generate a patient bill if there is an outstanding insurance claim. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

JimZ

Re: Patient billing

Post by JimZ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:31 am

On the left side page of the Billing Options (after selecting Billing from the Manage Module) there is a check box to Exclude if Ins pending. You probably have that checked as a default. Just uncheck it if you want those bills to be generated.

Jim

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:17 am

Jim

Thank you, but I don't want it for every patient account just one . Know of anyway to do this for individual accounts?

Debbie OD Support

Post by Debbie OD Support » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:32 am

As of right now it is all or nothing. You can manually print the statement for that patient if you want in the Account Module. There is a statement button. To the right of the button is a drop down and you can go to more options and print it through there.
Debbie
Open Dental Support
971-239-1150
service@opendent.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 am

I don't think it makes any sense to have the "exclude if ins pending" box checked. We only have that box there for offices that insist that they don't want statements going out in those cases. I think you do want statements to go out once a month to those patients so that they know the status of their claims. So my question is, "why do you want to exclude anyone?"

If there are certain patients that you do want to exclude, you could go to the effort of setting up a different billing type for them, such as InsurancePending. But then, you would have to be switching the billing types on patients all the time to indicate whether to include them in the billing process.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:37 am

I understand your reasoning, but (at least our) patients get confused when looking at statements that show a balance with insurance pending. We have the box checked, but also send statements once all the insurance payments have been received. We like and use the box on our monthly billing. Now, about the "unsent"......... :lol:

Jim