Ortho

For users or potential users.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Ortho

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:18 am

jsparks- This new post was at the end of a very old thread, so I started a new one:

Hi all,
Do you know if we can customize the progress note column to work for orthodontic charting (eg: wire sequence, elastics, appliances..)? And if the developing team can add a button to kinda switch between general charting and ortho charting?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Ortho

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:23 am

The progress note column? I don't quite understand.

There is an existing feature request for graphical charting of bands, brackets, wires, and appliances, but it will likely be a while.

As for switching, do you mean between palmer notation and universal notation? That can already be done in Setup, Modules. Maybe you are asking for faster switching? Maybe you are asking for mixed numbering, where some procedures are numbered with palmer and other procedures are numbered with universal?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:43 am

I think what he means is new a column in the progress notes for wire size and another column for elastics etc

the autonotes work reasonable well for and the like but there are too many possible wire combinations for wires.

I draw bracket, wires, ocs, elastics in the chart and save a copy each visit. Each wire size has a different color . I would post an example but I don't know how .

It has really sped up my note writing

steve

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:44 am

Steve -

to post a screenshot, first use the print screen tool and paste the image of the screen into MSPaint. At this point, you can crop it and obliterate any identifying names (for privacy).

Save that as a .jpg and upload it to Flikr (it's free - you'll have to open an account)

then,in Flikr:
On the top of the image in flikr are a series of icons. Click the "All Sizes" Icon, select the size. Then scroll down and you will see a link with the .jpg address for your photo. Paste this in between the "[img}{/img]" which is generated by pressing the Img button on top of the reply window.

Complex, I know, but a picture is worth a thousand words. You could also do the same type of screensave and directly post it to the Dentaltown forum for OD... that's a little more straightforward.

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:48 am

additional information,

we use touch screens in the ops very seldom do we have to touch the mouse.
You can come up with your own shorthand and colors
I place a v between teeth for stops
draw in elastics, steps
put a dot at the root if I have to re-cement a bracket
write behind the 2nd molar RC or CC for curves in the wire
draw arrows to show rotation and torque correction forces

shortcomings
I would be nice if the date showed on the capture
trying to draw without putting my palm on the screen took practice
there is no way of easily indicating things like retainers and functional appliances

We indicate cleanliness and directives in the progress notes
steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Here's Steve's screenshot

That sure would look cool with a bracket graphic. Hmm.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

firstdentalhome

Post by firstdentalhome » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Hopefully these pictures can further clarify the above questions.
For example: the "Surf"column can be replaced with the "Wire sequence" column, and so on....The question is whether we can add more customizable fields. If yes, this will be so helpful because we are thinking of using OD for a joined orthodontic/pediatric practice, and we hope that OD will have more features for specialty practices very soon. It is an untapped market because all the big OMS companies offer many bells and whistles that most practices don't even use.
As for switching between palmer notation and universal notation, it would be nice if the switching can also be done automatically with the mentioned buttons.

Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 pm

I would translate those to our lingo as follows:
1. More display fields for Progress Notes: WireSequence, Elastics, OralHygiene, etc.
2. In the Show tab of the Chart module, different saved views for different display field setups and tooth numbering notations. (that's very close to an existing request for views in Chart module).

Here's the main problem with the requests. The columns that you are requesting do not necessarily correspond to any current database fields. So at a deeper level, you are asking for more fields in the database. I supposed those fields are wanted on the "procedurelog" table, just like most of the other available display fields for the Progress notes. Or, another way of handling it might be to set up special custom procedurecodes for each of these things. Put the notes in the corresponding procedure for the patient, and only show notes for certain procedurecodes in each of the columns.

I think that to get a better grasp on what you are asking, that it would also help if you show me what kind of information you would display in "wire sequence", "elastics", and "oral hygiene" columns. I'm guessing the wire sequence column would show U and L wire sizes that were numbers of some sort (with decimals?). And the elastics column would show a tooth range in Palmer notation? We already do have a database field for tooth ranges, so that kind of column might be easier.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

bsokubo

Post by bsokubo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:10 pm

We would love to have the above changes implemented! The more the ortho side of OD evolves the better. We have 5 orthodontist friends using Ortho 2 and we all hate it. We are working on our conversion now and as soon as we are up and running the other 5 Docs are going to come check it out and join the OD team. Please help us ortho guys out.

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:02 am

There is the ortho chart already in the system for marking wires, elastics, etc (button on the chart toolbar)...we use it everyday for ortho and it works great....are you not finding that useful?
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:53 am

I've just been using the "insert note" feature by right clicking on the chart notes. From there I have a number of pre written notes divided up by type: wires, elastics, hygiene etc. I only spend about 30 seconds per patient entering notes.

irfan

Post by irfan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:01 pm

waiiiiit..... OD has an ortho chart already?

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:42 pm

drtech wrote:There is the ortho chart already in the system for marking wires, elastics, etc (button on the chart toolbar)...
I'm assuming that he's referring to http://www.opendental.com/manual/orthochart.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software