Print appointment notes ? (not progress notes)

For users or potential users.
mzrdmd

Print appointment notes ? (not progress notes)

Post by mzrdmd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 am

Again for the group practice at which I am now working and have become the de facto OD expert, is there a way that we can print the notes that go with each appointment ? Not the progress notes, but the notes that are entered to go along with the appointment. For example, if we add a note to an appointment to "check #15" or "may be 10 minutes late", those don't print when we print our schedules. Is there a way to print them ?

Of course, I've told them a hundred times that if they would just get computers and digital radiography in the operatories, we wouldn't have to print the schedules, look for charts, etc., ad nauseum, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I'm SO spoiled by my own set up !!!

Thanks,

Mike
Jordan Sparks ROCKS !

Rickliftig

Re: Print appointment notes ? (not progress notes)

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 am

Mike - Mine print on the day sheets and that is exactly where we put the notes like that. Of course if the appointment is too short, there's no room for them. They will show when moused over. For really important items (like check lateral border of tongue), I generate a pop-up.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:56 am

Also - Addr Notes will show up on the appointment as will medical alerts/pre-medicate - you can set them to highlight in a different color - usually red.

On yesterdays schedule, these notes showed up: "married to Charlotte M." (address note); "patient has walker and needs assistance" (med urgent); "He can not come in until 2010" (appointment note).

Hope you found the problem - don't hesitate to call support. They can usually figure out your problem in moments.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Of course, I've told them a hundred times that if they would just get computers and digital radiography in the operatories, we wouldn't have to print the schedules, look for charts, etc., ad nauseum, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I'm SO spoiled by my own set up !!!
you really need to put in computers in the ops...will save you lots of time. Don't need to have digital radiography, but will help you in so many other ways.

I have a computer at 12 0'clock for me (DR) and then a laptop mounted on the wall of the assistant side....gives you complete control. Can see at every instant what is going on with the schedule, current notes on status of pts, ability to tell your staff to move someone up or down that you see being a problem because you just started a RCT on an emerg pt, etc. You can also make sure your charges and everything are completed before the pt even leaves the room and even file the insurance! You can have the next planned appt and in then your assistant/front desk can schedule exactly what you want and for how long. And you will have zero mistakes! You might even be able to cut out a staff member since you will be completed all those things in like 30 seconds at the each appt. And while you are doing that, your assistant can type up the notes for the appointment and everything will be done. That is efficiency. (you only need about the cheapest computers you can buy...won't cost that much really...)
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:30 pm

I second David's sentiments - Once you start using it (computer in every op), you never want to go back. Everything is in the right place and everyone is doing things in the same way. You can pull up fact sheets, print Rx's look up treatment dates, treatment plans and images. And it's not just eye candy, it actually makes my day go faster and smooths out the communication. I can't tell you how often that I would pick up an old, thick, chart and everything would fall out of it.

We still keep the charts for x-rays and history, but any new referral slips are generated or scanned and all chart notes are computerized. I can actually read my notes now. Many notes are attached to a particular tooth and the upshot of this is when you look up a tooth's history, you'll see ALL of the notes on that tooth - very handy and it leads to better treatment (really - no BS here). It was always there in my old written notes (warnings, advice, etc) but was hidden deep within the pages.

Rick

PS - And as a side note, the patients are impressed.The computer savvy patients are impressed that OD is 'open source'

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

mzrdmd

Post by mzrdmd » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:48 am

Couldn't agree more that once you try it, you'll never go back, but I am not in control of this situation at the office that I'm talking about. If they would try it, they would absolutely love it.

Mike
Jordan Sparks ROCKS !