Problem with update

For users or potential users.
Ralph McElmurry

Problem with update

Post by Ralph McElmurry » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 am

I tried to update from 6.7.30 to 6.8.32 in the usual way. The download went normally and the database update did as well. When restarting the program I got the following message:

Unhandled exception has occurred......... Access to path BatchcheckServiceStatus.bat is denied. I had to rename the backup database back to the production name and replace the new Setup.exe from the backup server and reload 6.7.30. Luckily I only updated one workstation to start with. I have been getting errors on 6.7.30 concerning just-in-time debugging on another workstation for quite a while. I don't usually even run OD from that one but the error is coming from "OpenDentalServer"
Ralph McElmurry, DDS, MS

Ralph McElmurry

Re: More Problem with update

Post by Ralph McElmurry » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 am

Although reinstalling from the older Setup.exe allowed normal operation from the update workstation, Open Dental on the other workstations will not now start with the reason that there is an update running on the "update workstation". Unfortunately that one is in the basement. How to I get the others to start? Otherwise we'll be out of business on Monday morning. Thanks
Ralph McElmurry, DDS, MS

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Problem with update

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:41 am

That file is one that you must have added manually to your C:\Program Files\Open Dental folder. And for some reason, that file is locked. I would suggest removing it. Then...

Wait for us to release version 6.7.36 sometime this weekend. On the computer that's functional, run an update to that version. That will unlock all the other computers.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

savvy

Post by savvy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 am

First let me say, I feel your pain.
This is how I got rid of the Unhandled Exception error at the start of OD......

I had a backup of my last good working version.
For me it was version 6.9.3 (except for the chart graphics issue).
Previously, I updated Open Dental directly from v6.8.27 to v6.9.1.
To my knowledge, v6.8.30 or 32 was never on my system.
I uninstalled OpenDental
I changed the name of the mysql/data/opendentaldata file (oldopendentaldata) and the opendentImages file (oldopendentimages)
I rebooted the computer.
From the OpenDental site, I installed Trial Version 6.5.22 as a New Server.
After installed and open, I restored using my good backup (v6.9.3).
It now works fine.
No Unhandled Exception Errors.
Chart graphics is still screwed up however using DirectX, but in 2D it works as it did before (teeth go away and no annoying circles).
I then deleted the "old" files.

It seems to me the issue is in v6.8.30 or 6.8.32.
Avoid installing these versions.

This fix might not be for the timid, as data files are altered.

Cheers!!
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 pm

No, please don't do any of that. Your problem is totally unrelated. It's because of that locked file that you must remove.

(Savvy, please notice that he is not getting an unhandled exception at this time)
Jordan Sparks, DMD

V Suite

Post by V Suite » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

jordansparks wrote:Wait for us to release version 6.7.36 sometime this weekend. On the computer that's functional, run an update to that version. That will unlock all the other computers.
Good thing it's under control, but I'm surprised it's not released for the production 6.8 as well - are the listed bug fixes still in testing?

Cheers

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:40 am

The version update would have unlocked his other computers even if it contained no fixes at all. It's hard to explain. This is not a critical bug. It would never be an issue for most users.
Jordan Sparks, DMD