Upgrade question

For users or potential users.
JimZ

Upgrade question

Post by JimZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:43 am

I'm stumped and lost. Recently went to the dark side on my home computer(switched to an iMac). :oops: Have been running windows xp with parallels and everything was good with version 6.7. Upon the recent upgrade to version 6.8.31,the Open Dental program is running very chunky and slow. Only using the home computer to verify backups as it is not connected to the office. Previous version was having no issues and OD is the only program having this issue. XDR, Quicken, and others are not affected. Do I need to change something in the OD, or is this the way it will be?
Thanks for any help
Jim

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade question

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Well, what exactly is slow? Is it certain days refreshing on the schedule? Is it the Chart module? Is it mostly just after startup? The more specific the better.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Program loads OK, however in moving from appointment module to chart module there is approx a 10-18 sec delay. The strange part is when the appointment module is in the WEEK view, the time to load the chart is closer to 18 sec. If the appointment module is in the DAY view, the time is closer to 10-11 secs. Graphics are fine, just the delay in loading. Moving between manage and account modules is fine, no delay, however I just noticed a delay in getting into the family module also (Greater than 10 secs, but less than 18). The longer OD is running does not seem to have an affect on these delays. It's possible the video memory on the virtual machine may be limiting the OD. I will post if adjusting the video memory has any affect on this. Thanks for the prompt response.

Jim

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Database problems can sometimes cause slowness. But if the same exact database is running fast on your office computers, then it's not the database. Antivirus software has sometimes slowed it down. Other than that, you're probably looking at hardware. Video memory is a great guess. Try changing the 3D tooth chart to simple mode as a diagnostic.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:22 pm

I have increased the RAM, video memory, and processors assigned to the virtual machine and only saw a very slight improvement. Disabled the antivirus and saw no difference. I then decided to update the other home computer which runs Windows XP Pro to version 6.8 of OD and restore the office back up to it. Interestingly, there is also a lag in the appointment module with this computer as compared to version 6.7 when attempting to switch patients or change the week that is currently viewed; although not nearly as pronounced as the iMac/parallels computer. Will double check the office computers on Monday. We updated on the 31st after treating patients, so I do not know if this issue is on those also. Thanks!

Jim

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Keep in mind that OD runs sluggish the first time each module is opened. That's the tradeoff we made for a faster program startup. So don't judge it on initial speed.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:51 pm

FYI. Office computers were running slow this morning everyone was complaining. Ran database maintenance tool and they returned to "normal" speed. No issues throughout the day. Ran database maintenance tool on iMac/parallels at home and no improvement. Obviously this is an issue with the parallels virtual machine and OD, not OD itself. Thanks for your suggestions.
Jim