Can't print letters.

For users or potential users.
kiddent

Can't print letters.

Post by kiddent » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:17 am

I can print stationary letters without a problem. But when I try to print a simple letter, open dental tells me the printer is not available. This is with all three printers, which clerly are avaiable sinc ethey work form every other area of the program. This seems to be an open-dental glitch. Any ideas? (PS the problem even exists when I try to print a letter to a virtual printer i.e. to create a pdf file. And that program also works perfectly in all other areas such as statement printing.)

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:28 pm

hum...just tried 5.1 and didn't have any problems....

I suppose you have already made sure the correct printer is setup in File | Printers ?

I don't know if this effects simple letters (it shouldn't) but if you have a letter background specified, make sure it is valid or else erase the reference.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:35 pm

Which specific version is the problem? The version number is always important when reporting a possible bug.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

kiddent

Post by kiddent » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Sorry, should have been more specific. Version 5.0.21.

You hit the nail inon the head ---- I referenced a jpg in my logo which I had then removed from the stationary (see next bit). Removing the reference to the iamge fixed the problem. YOU are also right --- it shouldn't hav ehappened that way. After all, after removing the image from the Stationary, the stationary still worked perfectly! The simple letter, which did not even use the image, got glitchy! Weird, but problem solved. Thanks!

It would be nice to have two kinds of stationary letters saved in the program, by the way (when using my color printer, I'd have the stationary include the jpeg letterhead and print the letterhead. But at the front desk, where the available printer is a monochrome laser, I've set up the stationary to have blank lines at the top so it really just prints ON stationary.)

You hit the nail on the head, problem