Hiding NON-patients

For users or potential users.
kiddent

Hiding NON-patients

Post by kiddent » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:45 pm

On the list of patients there is an option to hide inactive patients. AM I the only one who wants to be able to hide NON-patients as well in some screens, such as the charting area. IN a pedo practice it's a pain to have the screen cluttered by all these non-patients (parents), and especially in the charting module it's tough to distiguish between Bob Smith and his son Bob SMith II, which can (and did) lead to charting a child in his father's chart. A popup asking "This person is a "non-patient" --- are you sure you want to open his chart?" would prevent this, as would a date of birth on the chart screen, and for that mater on every screen at the top left.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:05 am

Showing birthdate and age in the Chart module is a high priority, and would only take about 5 minutes for us to implement. So no problem. Popups for this specific situation are currently not a high priority. Generalized popups are a higher priority. They would allow you to manually set popups for non-patients, although this would add to the workload of your staff.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

kiddent

Post by kiddent » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:10 am

I did not mean popup in the sense of the popup on the appoinment screen. What I meant was that when I try to CHART a non-patient, a box should tell me "This person is NOT a patient. Are you sure you want to enter a chartentry". My asisstant did an entire charting into the child's chart (let's call him bob smith III) instead of the son's chart (bob-smith iv).

In som eareas of the program, seeing non-patients is not useful. Charting is one area, and often times in the appoinment module it is also not useful. On the other hand, it may be useful in the account area to see them. Therefore, the best solution may be a screen similar to the screen you have for setting up deafault printers for each area. Meaning, that you ca pick the default setting for each area of the program. I would choose to default the select patient list to not show the parents (non-patients) in charting and appoinments and recalls (where aprents do show up as well!). Again, bear in mind that you already have a 'hide in active patient' checkbox in teh select patient area --- having a similar box for non-patients seems logical enough.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:30 pm

Yes, I meant the same thing by popup. And now that you have explained again that non-patients do not need to be seen in the Chart module, I am agreeing more with you. Enough that a popup when trying to view a non-patient chart makes total sense. Regardless of any other general popup feature. I'll put it on the future versions page.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com