Statement without insurance estimate?

For users or potential users.
kiddent

Statement without insurance estimate?

Post by kiddent » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:42 pm

Can I print a statement without the insurance estimate? It's just misleading to patients sometimes, and creates a fals expectation.

On that same note, I think there should be an option to check a box for an insurance plan which would calculate the insurance portion for posterior composites based on the amalgam fee ---

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:01 am

Right now, eliminating the insurance estimate from the balance due is a global option only. There are plans to allow changing it on a per patient basis. I believe your request is to allow changing it on a per statement basis. We'll keep it in mind.

The posterior composite downgrade has been planned since day one, but other things keep coming up. I would say it's medium priority at the moment.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

kiddent

Post by kiddent » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:57 am

Thanks, but actually I would like to print up a statement WITHOUT any insurance estimate at all (NOT an insurance estimate which doesn;t afect the balance, but NO estimate at all). We can put 100 disclaimers on there but som epatients (this one in particular that I'm printing the statement for as well) will assume that our estimate is somewhat accurate and will question why it is not. Given that I know that the estimate of about $500 is off by about $300 (due to (1) her plan paying a lower fee schedule which they won;t release to me and (2) the discrepency between composite and amalgam, which is $30 per tooth times 10 teeth, I know that putting any estimate on there is asking for trouble. SO I don't want to have ANY insurance estimate at all ---

I know that all the software programs do the same thing in this regard, but the idea of routiunely handing out estimates which we know have no CHANCE of being corerect strikes me as a sloppy business practice for dentists to do. My autobody shop gave me an estimate and told me it may be off, but they don't hand it to me telling me they KNOW it's off by at least $200 and even beyond that it's just an estimate.

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:17 pm

there are two options to do most of what you want.

1) Check "don't subtract insurance estimates in" in Setup | Misc
2) and also check "print simple statements" in that same window.
3) (you may also want to try "Bold account balance view"...I think you need v5.0 at least for #'s 2 & 3)

now you will still have the ins estimates in the computer, but they won't print on statements and the balance will not be affected. Just be sure to uncheck the option on the tx plan to not show estimates either.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:34 pm

We have always advised offices to manually override the allowed amount on individual posterior composites to at least come closer to the true estimate.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com