Version 6.7 headaches

For users or potential users.
tcdc

Version 6.7 headaches

Post by tcdc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:51 pm

This version has been such a nightmare. We decided to update from a previous version to 6.7.27 because of the x-ray percentage category in the insurance benefit module. Since then, we have had to update couple more times to fix the bugs. These bugs were pretty significant (treatment plan estimates not correct, deductible not correct, etc). Now, even after numerous updates, deductibles are still incorrect for some patients. Patients who have already paid their deductible are still showing unpaid. In addition, when entering insurance payment, deductible applied is showing negative dollars (even when no deductible was due).

When I called the customer service support line, the representative basically told me I have been entering payments wrong. She said I should only be using "By Procedure" and not "Total Payment". Well, that didn't help solve my problem. Plus if "Total Payment" is not to be used, why is it an available option? ANyhow, I've been using "total payment" for insurance payments that have paid in full, so that is a significant amount of patients... what am I supposed to do now? Plus the negative deductibles that were popping up when entering insurance payments was also showing up when using "By Procedure" so obviously it wasn't just because "I've been entering my payments wrong."

Anyhow, just venting my frustration.

drtech

Re: Version 6.7 headaches

Post by drtech » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:45 am

yes, I am not sure why in Total is even available...always enter by procedure so your estimates and everything thing else can be much more accurate.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:21 am

The TOTAL PAYMENT button is used by us when an Ins company mails the check to the patient and the patient forwards the check without an EOB, or in those situations where the Ins Co pays a flat benefit. This way we are able to link a payment to the claim, but have no need to give an accurate breakdown by procedure. We do not participate in any Ins plans, so Delta and some of the Blues will not mail payments to us. Fortunately, these patients have been conditioned to mail the Ins checks to our office.

Jim

thielbar1

Post by thielbar1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:13 am

Nice to know about this "Total" button now....I have been using it for a year and a half now :x
So does this mean we will run into these same issues when we update to 6.7?

Thielbar Family Dental

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:05 am

we are on 6.8 now and haven't really seen many problems....there were some estimate issues, but they all seem to be worked out now... I don't think you will have any more problems when you go to 6.8, but Jordan better chime in on this one b/c I don't really know for certain...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:14 pm

The total button is still there. It cannot be used for PPO's that you are contracted with, because it causes problems with writeoffs. But it still works just fine for any normal insurance plan. But if you use it instead of splitting the payment by procedure, and there is a deductible involved, I could see where it might not know where to apply the deductible to. But still, what you might be experiencing is a change in behavior from current versions that I'm unaware of. Would you possibly be able to identify one of the patients whose deductible is incorrect, and call us? We can get a copy of your database and take a close look at that specific situation. We can usually narrow down the problem quickly after that.

I'm sorry about the bugs. It's an unfortunate side-effect of adding enhancements.

I just tried to duplicate your problem by entering a $50 deductible as part of a total payment. It seems to have worked just fine. Perhaps go to your Main Menu, Setup, Insurance Categories, and hit the Set to Default button. I also can't make a negative deductible show when entering a payment. I really need to see the database to say more about it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com