Comm log and future plans for OD

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Comm log and future plans for OD

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:00 am

Hi Jordan -

What are your thoughts on including the commlog in the audit trail? I'm curious, because these notes could be considered part of the legal record as they are often communications with the patient.

Also, I know it has been requested before (and I know you have been a little busy - hope you are getting some sleep!), but could you give us an update on the 'Grand Plan' and future plans for OD? We'd all love a little dream candy to 'munch on'!

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Comm log and future plans for OD

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:25 pm

I guess the most important "big plan" concept is permanent locking of all entries no matter what permission. For example, this can currently be found as a feature of procedure notes. Nobody can change history. This will be expanded to the critical financial functions. This solves a number of weaknesses with security and reporting. It's also hard to do, and sucks up some database memory in the process. But since most databases I've seen are only in the 100 MB range, I think a larger database is a good trade off for locked history. The audit trail would then allow very rich history probing rather than the shallow version that we now deal with.

And, of course, there is planned eye candy such as 3D perio chart. With version 6.9, we are enhancing the look of the 3D tooth chart for antialiased outlines.

Finally, there is the constant chipping away at the thousands of annoyances. There's probably not a window in the entire program that wouldn't benefit from some tuning and added interactive intelligence. It's an ongoing neverending process.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Re: Comm log and future plans for OD

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks!
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net