How to Screw up an Account - Embezzlement Revisited

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

How to Screw up an Account - Embezzlement Revisited

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Ok - All you docs with Admin privileges - Beware! I have done this twice in the last several months and want to keep you from doing the same.

Several accounts were suddenly showing negative balances. I picked them up (as did my front desk) and it didn't appear that any adjustments had been made - very suspicious, eh? Using the audit log, we tracked down the culprit - admin (aka the nut behind the keyboard)

Apparently, as I have been entering conditions on the chart and correcting any errors that may have been imported before the date of the conversion, I deleted several procedures (ie. a post build-up that was imported before our conversion). Because there were dollar amounts associated with these procedures and because I had no date limitation on my editing the account, I was essentially creating the negative balance with my editing.

So, #1- don't do this! #2 - the audit log is your friend! #3 - don't be too quick to assign blame - look in the mirror first!
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: How to Screw up an Account - Embezzlement Revisited

Post by jordansparks » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:05 pm

I suggest that everyone enter a lock date of some kind and that it also lock out the admin. For example, you might lock it as of 6 months ago. It's global and easy to do.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com