How to keep track of HIPAA and other forms

For users or potential users.
afeuer

How to keep track of HIPAA and other forms

Post by afeuer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:30 am

jsparks- Warning. This topic is outdated. Please skip everything and look at the very last post in this thread.

We would like to start having patients sign their HIPPA and other agreement forms directly into OD. I was thinking about using the consent forms in the chart module to do this. One of my concerns is how do we keep track of whether or not a patient has signed each document. I could just make a note of this in the account screen, but this just seems like a poor workaround. Does anyone else have patients sign forms like this? How do you keep track of which forms have been signed by the patient?

Thanks
-Adam

peterskuben

Re: How to keep track of HIPAA and other forms

Post by peterskuben » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:11 am

I am trying to do the same. Right now I am installing PT Dental (Paperless Technologies) because they can keep track of all the forms that a patient needs to sign and they interface with OD. In theory, a patient comes in, you give him a tablet and they sign/ fill out all the forms on the Tablet. I'll let you know how it works in practice :|

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:00 pm

I think consent forms is definitely the easiest if you're trying to avoid paper. I honestly never thought about the issue of tracking which ones were signed or not.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

klinlv

Post by klinlv » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:52 am

MedicTalk's Dentform can be set up to require that HIPAA be signed (or any other document that you choose). It has worked great for us.

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 am

That's interesting. I looked into MedicTalk's services. I'd rather not complicate things more by adding more software until we have a need for more of their features.

I was planning on putting a "H" under the account urgent notes to designate if we had a signed hipaa form on file, but since it is the same for the whole family we are going to have to put each persons name and then the "H". Anyway, I think we're going to start putting this into practice next week. I'll post back in a little while and say how it's working out.

-Adam

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:36 pm

You can use the custom patient field feature to track things like this. That feature has the following advantages:
1. Formalizes the tracking.
2. You can run queries on the fields.
3. That feature will probably be updated gradually to allow even more formalized tracking, for example input boxes forcing valid dates, checkboxes, etc. Any abbreviations that you now use will be convertable to the new feature set.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

klinlv

Post by klinlv » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:16 am

MedicTalk is not complicated at all there is already a link built in in the Setup| Program Links. It works great and we have all are consents, medical Hx, dental Hx, Hipaa etc in there. We also use it for progress notes with Easy Notes Pro. We have been on it for 2.5 years and would highly recommend it. It makes it easy to have complete progress notes that are easy to read instead of poor handwritten ones with misspelled words. Definitely worth looking into, just Google MedicTalk and speak to Alex when you call.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:38 am

Our autonotes feature has been enhanced since you started using ENP, and that might not be a compelling reason to use it for new customers.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks Jordan! The custom patient field was exactly what I was looking for. I added a field called 'signed HIPAA' and we are going to put the date in it each time they sign the hipaa consent form. This way we know that it was done and it will be easy to find it if we need to.

Since we'll be signing the forms in the family screen, is there a way to put the consent button in the family module too?

Thanks again,
-Adam

peterskuben

Post by peterskuben » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:35 pm

jordansparks wrote:I think consent forms is definitely the easiest if you're trying to avoid paper. I honestly never thought about the issue of tracking which ones were signed or not.
Consent forms would work if they could be loaded in the Terminal Window in OD. Right now the Terminal Window can't do this and therefore, when a new patient comes in, we have to give them paper forms to fill out. This paper info is then entered into OD.

The only way around this is to install 3rd party programs like MedicTalk or PT Dental. Patient then can enter info directly into a tablet and that info is uploaded into OD.

Is there any other way to go paperless right as the patient walks in through the door?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:22 pm

If it's important to people, they will vote on it or even make pledges. It seems like a better use of money than buying a 3rd party program, but then they might have to wait a little bit for it to get implemented.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:18 am

The way I handle this issue is just add a folder to the Images module and call it HIPAA and just scan it into the folder with the date. I do this for the Medical Hx, any consent forms etc....

Incidentally, does anyone know how often a patient needs to sign the HIPAA form, I thought just once and done.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 am

Where is the custom patient field??

afeuer

Post by afeuer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:56 am

You'll be able to set the fields under the setup. You will then find them under the family module at the bottom of the list. Just double click on the custom field and you can enter the info.

http://www.opendental.com/manual/custom ... ields.html

tpton84

Post by tpton84 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Say, we have extraction/endo consent forms signed.... Would it be sufficient to fill out the consent forms and have them appear on the chart? Or would it be best to save it as a pdf and upload it back into open dental and into the patient's folder?

I am just concerned because currently, you can alter the information in the saved consent form... but it would need a new signature and thats not really really good. Can we make it so that it locks the consent form and not allow editing? and to make any changes, a new consent form is needed? And when it saves, it can ask where and which folder to save it under... That would be a great improvement I think. It'll be more organized.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:48 pm

This is an old thread, so I'm locking it. There is just too much confusing and irrelvant information at the top.

The current recommendation is to use "Patient Forms", not "Consent Forms". The dates are easily tracked and visible from the patient forms window. If you wish to further discuss it, a new thread should be started.
Jordan Sparks, DMD