Windows 7

For users or potential users.
articaine

Windows 7

Post by articaine » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:48 am

Any ideas on whether Windows 7 will be a problem with Open Dental? I recall when Vista just came out there was some issue...just can't remember. I have XP Pro at the office but plan on having 7 on my laptop at home.
If it bleeds, we can kill it.

afeuer

Re: Windows 7

Post by afeuer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:09 am

Seems to work just fine for me. My test machine has been running X64 windows 7 for a while now. I haven't really seen too much that works on vista and won't work on windows 7. Just be careful with 64 bit if you need drivers for various peripherals.

-Adam

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Works great. Been running beta Build 7100 for a few months now and just upgraded all my computers to Windows 7 release this last weekend without a hitch. I went with 32bit on all my computers hosting my digital x-rays and such for drivers, and then 64bit on ones without preiferials. Buy the Family pack with 3 licenses for $150, works great. It actually makes your computers faster than with XP! (with at least 1GB of mem). Network speeds are improved and regular program processing seems to be really improved. Example, A FMX on my XDR digital x-ray software actually loads in almost 1/2 the time with Win7 compared to the same computer with XP. Not sure, why, but I am sold...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

peterskuben

Post by peterskuben » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I just switched over to Win7 (32 bit) on my workstations and I notice that the Chart Module repaints the 3D tooth chart very slowly. Somehow every time I treatment plan something or add anything on the 3D Tooth chart, the tooth chart is repopulated tooth by tooth.

Do you see the same thing happening to you? Anybody having the same issue? In Win XP the display on 3d tooth chart was instantaneous.

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:44 am

yes, it is that way for all windows 7 installs (at least on nvidea chipsets) you have to go to the graphics settings and change to hardware acceleration and then show all options and choose setting #3. It will then work instantaneously.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:54 pm

We have moved to DirectX, so in version 6.9, that won't be an issue.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

peterskuben

Post by peterskuben » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:26 pm

I found out what the problem was.
After installing Windows 7, I did not have the automatic updates turned on. There is an automatic update for my Asus Etop on board graphics card GMA 950 that Windows 7 installs. After this update the 3D graphics chart shows up instantaneously.