Download User Manual?

For users or potential users.
ejanson

Download User Manual?

Post by ejanson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:19 pm

I'd like to install the user manual onto work stations which are not on the internet. How can I download it? Thanks.

drtech

Re: Download User Manual?

Post by drtech » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 pm

if they are on your network they should have access to the internet...unless you are blocking them?

I don't think you can download it unless you use some kind of off-line browser program to download entire websites for off-line viewing...I know there are some programs out there that do that...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

ejanson

Post by ejanson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Basically, I'd like to keep the user manual on mobile laptops which are not always connected to the internet, or maybe even burn it to a disc for staff to review at their leisure. I'm wondering if I can just cache it somehow?

Davison

Post by Davison » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 pm

You can "rip" most websites with "Get Left"
http://personal1.iddeo.es/andresgarci/g ... index.html

It will download each page, and automatically change the links to the other downloaded pages, so it works running off your standalone computer, without linking to pages out on the internet.

You have to tell it how many levels of links to follow, but you can tell it to follow unlimited links to the page you start with, that are local. I think that means if the OD page references, say, the ADA.org site, it won't go there. You have to check a box to ignore external links.

Play with it on some small sites first. You will notice the downloaded pages will be in your "My Documents". Each page will be listed twice, one the original, and one with altered URLs. You can delete all the originals.

IT's a free program.

After you download the site, find it in your "My Documents", it will have its own folder. Double click "Index.html", not "index.html.orig" and the web pages will come up, adn the links in the page will work. You will see in your address bar that the pages you are viewing on on your local drive, such as:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/My%20Documents/www.opendental.com/index.html