For users or potential users.
drtech

Digital Radiography

Post by drtech » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:10 am

Anyone here using XDR, Dexis, or Kodak?

What are your thoughts on them?
1) What system are you using?
2) How long have you been using it?
3)How large is your office and how many sensors is enough for your size?
4)How do you like the software for your system?
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jclaydds

Re: Digital Radiography

Post by jclaydds » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:52 am

We put computers in all our operatories in March 2008 and switched to Open Dental at that time. Our goal was to integrate digital x-rays into the practice in 2009. We have 8 operatories with 2 doctors and 3 hygienists. We bought our sensors a couple of months ago and started using them about a month ago after a day of training. We purchased 2 - #2 sensors and 2 - #1 sensors. I was worried that this number of sensors would not be adequate but we have not had a problem yet of people having to wait on sensors. If we end up buying any more in the future, it might be one additonal #2 sensor but we haven't seen the need for it yet. We are using the new XDR sensors that came out 3-4 months ago and the XDR software. Like anything else, we are still in the learning curve. In spite of the fact that we have taken FMX's on all adult patients for many years and my staff are quite use to doing that, it is still an adjustment using a sensor rather than a piece of film. The sensors is a bit thicker, you have to deal with the wire coming out of the sensor and perhaps the biggest adjustment is that the sensor is not flexible like a piece of film.

The image quality seems very good but I don't really have a lot of experience with other systems so I really don't have a point of reference for comparison.

We converted our panorex to digital and we are still working a few kinks out of that conversion. It seems that the software that comes with the digital panorex conversion is not communicating well with XDR and it occasionally causes a windows error. They are working to resolve this issue currently. You will have to ask me more about that a month or two from now and hopefully the issue will be resolved by then.

I can't imagine now not having Open Dental and computers in all the Ops but it was a difficult adjustment in the first month or two. I expect I'll feel the same about digital x-rays in a few months but like I said, it is still early in our learning curve process. The XDR software links beautifully to Open Dental and we are happy with the XDR software. The trainer (Sandra) came out from XDR headquarters in California to train us. She was excellent. The tech support has also been very good. The cost was quite reasonable as compared to some of the more proprietary systems. I am quite positive about my experience with XDR to this point but it is early in the game.

Good Luck with your decisions.

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:01 am

My office is set-up with Visix. I liked it because there was virtually zero learning curve for the staff. The technique is exactly like traditional films. OD bridges to Visix but we actually use the Visix software to scan in the images then we export the mounted images and then import into OD image module. (I actually think that OD displays the images better than the Visix Software). I know that this sounds like alot of steps but it is very simple to do....much easier than developing traditional films and mounting them.

We also have a Gendex digital pan which we use the exact same way.

One down side to not using a sensor directly into OD is that you end up with duplicated images in two databases, the duplicate images could easily be deleted but honestly I like having the automatic backup of the images into two locations. Another downside is the images are not instantly on the screen.

The phosphorous plates are only $20, when they get scratched you just throw them away and replace it, no need to worry about not having enough of them.

I have been very happy with this setup.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:40 am

Using OD for 3 months and using Dexis for 6 years. They integrate perfectly together. I love both programs. Very easy to use. Button in OD brings up Dexis window with patient's Dexis folder. Also added a link button to Dexis in the Appt Module window. Any specific questions just fire away.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:40 am

I decided to go with XDR.

Mainly because the new sensors are the most comfortable for the pt (besides Dexis) and the cost is very reasonable, especially being able to replace the cords for very minimal cost no matter why it broke (ie your staff cut the cord). (not a rip off like it seems from the other companies where you are paying an arm and a leg for all the reps)

Thanks for the input...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com